How to center heightfield crop shader around the camera?

Started by Adam Chrystie, January 15, 2007, 05:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Chrystie

Hi all,

I have a terrain made out of procedurals and at the end of the node list i have it converted in to a height field
that i plan to export as a LWO. I'd like to optimize how much geo gets exported so i tried to use the crop shader but i found
it difficult to guage the values that i need to type in to center the crop around the caemera position.

Is there a way to automatically center the heighfield crop shader around the camera?

might be a good feature.
--------------------
Adam Chrystie
3D Artist & Infrastructure/Pipeline Developer

Will

I don't think there currently is. Ive been using trial and error so far.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

JimB

You could use an Ortho camera setup from directly above, if there were no overhangs, etc. The key is to render from the Final Render node, using an LWO output in the last animation tab.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=243.msg1970#msg1970

These were two and three heightfields of different resolutions and camera crops exported to LWO and plopped on top of each other:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=243.0;attach=503;image

My main concern wasn't a complete terrain but something to line up animation in XSI for, so the camera occlusion holes didn't matter. I also haven't tried the topdown ortho camera suggestion, but the principle should work in theory.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Adam Chrystie

THanks for the tips people.

I'll try the method you suggested Jim.
--------------------
Adam Chrystie
3D Artist & Infrastructure/Pipeline Developer

JimB

Quote from: Adam Chrystie on January 16, 2007, 01:05:17 AM
THanks for the tips people.

I'll try the method you suggested Jim.

You can be the guinea pig  :) Let us know if it works?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.