Some Help with the Destruction of the World

Started by darthvader, October 21, 2008, 01:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

here's where i'm going with the multiple impact idea, sorry for the low quality but the multiple contrail masks make the render slow to a crawl. At 600x240 pixels and at .3 detail this took almost 80 minutes!

[attachimg=#]

I don't know what is causing the "shadows" in the clouds, so I may have to fiddle around with the sun a bit

PG

I've just thought of a feature for the post beta releases. A rule vacuum. Something like the new painter tool where you can omit certain things from your scene such as shadows which don't work in your scene but can't be turned off. In this render you can't simply turn shadows off as everything would go really bright, which is obviously not what you want.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

Nice work on this.  I liked the original just fine. 

Don't over-think it.  This looks good to begin with.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

darthvader

So I thought to myself "it sure is boring with these comets impacting a flat grey world...there's just no massive destruction" so I worked on the planet a bit. I think the texture are pretty much finalized but the small clouds need some work, no dust trails on this one since they shoot render times through the roof.

Detail: .5
AA: 3

[attachimg=#]

Mandrake

Back the camera (back) a smidge and add Ogre's trail, still think the split would be nice.. Looks Great!!

Oshyan

Looks very cool! I do miss the trails though. If you're having problems with render time, I can probably help. ;)

- Oshyan

MacGyver

Looks great  :D and resembles from above what's going on with my "Nuclear Fire" image ;)
What I could imagine would be a nice to have, though not ultimately necessary would be some mushroom-like explosions or a shockwave in the atmosphere - ok, this is just purely hypothetical, I got carried away in a daydream :-[
You made great progress with this concept, I'm really looking forward to what it turns out to be :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

darthvader

Here it is with the trails (they really do help) I think i'm going to make the trails thinner...or the explosions bigger ;D Also I think I will add at least several craters to mark where other asteroids/comets have hit in the same whirlwind of planetary disaster. As always C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Detail: .6
AA: 4
Render Time: 8 hours 28 minutes

[attachimg=#]

Mandrake

Beauty, don't scale the trails down, it's the moment of impact or just before, looks good to me. You could do a few different renders blended together with slightly different cloud colors on each, to make them look more.... mmm volatile, bad word maybe.

PG

Oracular perhaps, almost ominous. I think the trails do need to be a bit thinner or maybe just a bit more erratic. Dissepating towards the background.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

Agreed, a tad thinner on the trails. But otherwise this is looking great.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

You're da man!

(You really act like Darth Vader too...  :o ;))
Howgh!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Quote from: calico on October 27, 2008, 09:55:03 AM
...and then animate!!   ;D

Nice work!

That wouldn't be too hard, although it's a bit tricky to get a realistic camera shake on impact with the current controls.
Howgh!

darthvader

Actually, animateing it would be terribly difficult seeing as how I lack the animation package ;)