Somewhere

Started by choronr, October 21, 2008, 03:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

An image which took 102.45.00 hours to render. Interesting, the first 2/3 of the picture took 5.5 hours to render with the CPU at almost 100%; then. the final 1/3 (where most of the water was) took the remaining time to render and the CPU was only using about 40-45%.

Thanks to lightning for the Acer (maple) tree and bushes; and, to klas for the grass.

Bob

moodflow

The cliffside colors and displacements are fantastic - some of the best I've seen!  I also love the clouds.  The lighting is perfect.

Minor Crits:

I think the foliage could use some work, esp the tree, which seems out of place.  The bushes are a bit too regular in distribution and type. 

The mudslick could use a bit more variation in color, but otherwise looks nice.  The rocks in the mudslick look a bit too regular, but thats difficult to pull off otherwise.

A very minor crit on the clouds is the edging - not sure exactly how you'd resolve it, but its a bit too sharp but with too much thinness at the same time.  Otherwise these are the best clouds of this type I've seen in TG2 so if there's no way to change how they are, then that's just how it is.  These work great!

Keep those images coming - I can't wait to see the next.   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

old_blaggard

Nice work with the surface details and the displacement. I really like the arch - what technique did you use for it? I feel that the plants could use a little more variation in their distribution, as well as in their appearance.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

choronr

@moodflow and old_blaggard; I agree concerning the vegetation. For distribution, a mix of slope/elevation (and clumping) would have yielded a more natural placement. The clouds were the best seed; and, more playing with the settings might have produced better clouds (next time for sure) - likewise with the rocks. The 'arch' is actually a .obj which you can obtain from Renderosity. They are produced by 'Hankster's Unique Rocks', volume 1. Volume 2 is also now available.

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Bob

Oshyan

Very nice work, especially the rock textures and displacement. Well-integrated arch, too. Aside from the issues with vegetation that others pointed out, it's a top-notch scene. The only other thing that is a bit odd to me is the perspective, or specifically the apparent lack of anything behind the rock arch and mountain on the left. It seems to just drop off (like the end of terrain in TG 0.9 ;D).

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan for visiting and your comments. I think now, this would have been a good opportunity to drop in a second terrain in the distance behind the arch.

rcallicotte

Bob, I agree with the comments here.  This is superb.  Lighting is realistic.  Good work!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?