Clumping of vegatation...

Started by choronr, October 26, 2008, 11:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

Quote from: gregsandor on October 27, 2008, 08:04:40 PM
I'm glad you mentioned checking linear.  Can you explain what that means please.

There will be a linear correlation between the pixel value in the original image and the density it represents in TG2.  Without checking this, a non-linear gamma adjustment is made to the image which is commonly used for getting a better visual representation of images used for textures.   Having a linear correlation between the two just makes it easier to calculate what scalar value it will translate to in TG2 when you're creating your mask image.  TG2 scalar = pixel value / 256

gregsandor

Oshyan, what I'm suggesting is that in addition to the way we mask populations at present (a stencil), we add the ability (which we can kind of fake now with layers of populations) to plug the mask into the actual density too.  Not only would the mask limit the geographic distribution of objects in the population, it also would numerically limit them.  If you input say 10 meter spacing, the shader would then multiply that by the colors in the mask.  At pure white, the objects would be numerically more dense, and at dark grey, numerically less dense.  I also want to do this with object scale in the population.

Matt

Quote from: gregsandor on October 28, 2008, 01:15:35 AM
Oshyan, what I'm suggesting is that in addition to the way we mask populations at present (a stencil), we add the ability (which we can kind of fake now with layers of populations) to plug the mask into the actual density too.  Not only would the mask limit the geographic distribution of objects in the population, it also would numerically limit them.  If you input say 10 meter spacing, the shader would then multiply that by the colors in the mask.  At pure white, the objects would be numerically more dense, and at dark grey, numerically less dense.  I also want to do this with object scale in the population.

I hope you'll see from my last post that this is exactly how it works already.

Being able to do that for scale too is something we'll add in future.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gregsandor

Matt, got it.  I'm looking forward to the scale modifier too.  Thanks.