First Image

Started by tsuki, November 02, 2008, 05:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsuki

So if I don't see those three lines, they've intersected? I think I haven't increased the radius enough, then, in this next version, but I like where the shoreline is relative to the reeds and dunes; does it look alright, or is it obvious?  Sorry that I'm such a noob ><

Mohawk20

No problem... asking questions helps us to learn.

Extend the water until you have a realistic smooth shoreline, and then lower it a bit more until the shoreline is in the spot the water ends now.

And I meant a pale shade of yellow, but on the other had, I'm not quite sure about that. Best thing to do is to get an image from google and compare colours.
Howgh!

tsuki

I increased the radius and then lowered the z value, but when it got back to around the original place, the shore line looked pretty much the same. Still playing around with it.

Mohawk20

It was the y value that has to be changed for height, remember?
But if you could attach the savefile to your next post (at the bottom under 'additional options'), I could take a look and help you out!
Howgh!

tsuki

I have the y set so low, it makes the lake look like a puddle... but I should be able to change the settings around... I feel like I'm being more noobish the more help I get >< I could move the lake deeper (increase y) and move z back to have the shoreline in the same spot, then increase the radius and reduce y as needed... right?  Attached the file.

dandelO

I've had a play with this and a couple of simple steps fixed it.

[attachimg=#]

To have the water intersect at the crop zone you had set up for test rendering I needed to: Use a 'heightfield adjust vertical' to remove the edge of the terrain's slope and set lowest='0'(I find this is better than only adjusting border blending, in most cases). Doing this meant I needed to pull the terrain a little closer to the camera to intersect hills with the lake. Your population might need tweaked slightly to fit this but it's as close as I could get to match your scene.

I adjusted your lake and water shader to match the above.

All your original parts are still there to check settings against, very little has changed. The biggest changes are the lake radius and height. And the transparency distance needed to be very much higher in the water.

dandelO.

tsuki

Sorry for the delay, another crazy few days. I like the changes you made; thank you! I have one question: I saw that you increased the decay; what does that do, exactly? The lake looks great, by the way! And I appreciate you leaving the originals so that I could easily see what had changed; I'll definitely learn from it.

dandelO

Increasing the decay distance makes the water clearer for a further distance before it becomes the colour of the decay tint, it's measured in metres. Your lake and heights are of such a high scale(i.e. 3000m radius, when it looks to be a very close to the ground scene. It isn't though in terms of scale. Test this by changing the 'y' value of the lake transform by ten metres or so, it barely looks like it's moved).

Because of this large overall scale, low levels of transparency decay, like you had before, have little to no effect that you can see. I'd still probably raise it a bit higher than I've changed it to. You feel like you're 2-3m above the surface, you'd see more through the water at that height, but you're actually much higher, so large values of decay are needed to make you believe you are still close-up to the surface.

crisady

There are too many things that need improvements.

A better approach is, after you read the documentation about TG2, to do some specific test with the ground, water, sky etc. to see how reacts to different settings.
Then you could try to put these things together in a more complex scene and you`ll see that you`ll came with better results.

Have fun !