F/Stop, Shutter Speed, Focal Length Camera Settings?

Started by Blackheart6004, January 16, 2007, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart6004

Is there a way to have the ability to input a camera(s) EXIF data into Terragen 2 such as the F/Stop, Focal Length, and Shutter Speed such as the screen shot below?

My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

Will

Not currently but its a great idea, im sure it could be done once DOF is implmented.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

FrankThomas

[/pedantic]
Depth of Focus
[/pedantic]

(although it's normally referred to as depth of field)

:)

Will

FrankThomas

sorry but in another life I'm a photographer :) (not to mention far too pedantic for my own good)

oggyb

So why does everybody say depth of field. . . I was TAUGHT depth of field  >:(

M.

Will

Cyber-Angel

Looks like some thing got left out form that list so I will say Aperture, you know it would be really cool if TG2 could you real world camera data as I think the only other one that dose right now that I know of is Maxwell Render.

The Facility to use EXIF data in the camera and have the camera respond like its real world counter parts would be a real asset in Production.

DOF should be an automatic process as a result of F/stop, Aperture adjustment and should be smart enough to do differential (Rack Focusing in cinematography) focusing.

If you're going full out with the camera then the camera in TG2 should support the following:

•   Barrel Distortion (Mainly found on wide angle lenses)
•              Bokeh aberrations (Under corrected spherical aberration and Overcorrected spherical aberration)
•   Chromic Aberration (Longitudinal and transverse)
•   Pincushion Distortion
•   Thin Film Optics

These are a must if you're going full out.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

Yes Maxwell Renderer does have that feature, It would be neat to see at least a plug in that would allow for such features.

Regards,

Will

Oshyan

As you can see there is a lot to cover in full simulation of a camera. There is a good reason why Maxwell is just about the only one to support this. Clearly it could be useful for "production", but not apparently so much that most of the big production renderers like Renderman have bothered implementing it, even with such large development teams as many of them have as compared to Planetside.

We'd certainly like to add support of more real-world camera functions and effect simulation, but it's a demanding area of its own. Direct import of EXIF settings is not likely to be a natively suppported feature for the final release, but it should be fairly easy to create a plugin to support it once the SDK is available. Translating the TG2 settings into camera settings would be the main difficulty - e.g. how would ISO translate into a digital system such as this, without a direct simulation of ISO sensitivities? Adding such is potentially redundant when the same effects can be simulated by simply adjusting exposure, so translating exposure or other settings into ISO equivalent would be the plugin developer's task (and likely one of their main challenges in this case).

- Oshyan