Suggestion for future release

Started by patrick, November 10, 2008, 03:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

Do you think it is possible to have Terragen render very big files , i tried to do so without success,  the program crash after one day or two of render .
Is it possible to make it render to disk like with Vue or to render by small part of images and recompose the whole image at the end like in Mojo world . The later solution is very stable and works extremely well . ??? :-\
It is a pity that a program like yours which deliver very high quality images can't render them at high resolution like 12000 by 9000 pixels or more .
I would like to use it for my exhibitions projects but unfortunately i can't , so i use Vue or Mojo World and Artmatic voyager .

Thanks

Patrick Mimran

rcallicotte

It's all about how much RAM your OS is using.  It isn't a problem with TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

Calico i'm not so sure can you blame it all on the OS/RAM, after all you are using the same OS/RAM when using mojo and vue. It sounds like vue and mojo have systems in place to render very large images even when there isn't enough ram to handle the whole thing at once.

Patrick is just requesting something similar in TG2 which wouldn't be a bad thing for the future.

cyphyr

One solution is to render thin vertical slices of your image and rotate your camera incrementally. You'll have to sit down with a pen and paper to work out just how big, many and how much your camera rotates. After your done just set up an animation render and then comp all your images together (allow about a 20% overlap per image). Something like this could be easily be scripted (I'd have thought) and run as a plugin once the final release is out.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

@reck, I understand.  But, the reason this doesn't work in TG2 is due to RAM limitations.  That's the reason.  If not, maybe Planetside could explain how this limitation can be overridden.   But, I'd like this limitation fixed without doing gymnastics such as cyphyr has explained.  I appreciate cyphyr's quick response for a possible outcome to work around this problem, but I'd rather not need to work around stuff, if the feasibility can be inside the program.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Patrick, have you tried if it works by rendering cropped pieces, and pasting them together in software like photoshop or the gimp?
Howgh!

reck

Matt

The ability to render tiles and stitch them together afterwards is something we'll look at after final 2.0 release.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

patrick