Suggestions to newcomers !

Started by pclavett, May 18, 2009, 04:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Coming from TG 0,9 to TG2 was an ordeal. The Forum here has made things a lot better and sincere thanks to all that give tips, share files and ready to do anything to help you along. What has made a difference is the dissecting of files to see the inner working of the software and why things come out the way they do on rendering. What has been very helpful this past week is dissecting a file purchased from the Frank Basinski website "New World Digital Art", the TU Canyon files from Tangled Universe (Martin Huisman). It was well worth the few bucks to obtain it. I spend countless hours following the flow and took it apart to put it back together again on a grid that I did with my GeoControl to end up with a render this is still going but find included a screen capture. Mind you I only included a small percentage of the nodes in my render and did change things by including colored strata and way less fine texturing. I still have things to learn from these files and the fun is in trying to "untangle" all the nodes (sorry for the play of words Martin!) and find their inner working and  relations. I will have to figure out where to do some rendering economy as the thing has been rendering (on an 8-core MacPro) for the past 39 hours and still going. I will have to read some threads on this ! In any event thanks to all for sharing your information, files and expertise. It is nice to restart TG and hope I can develop this to a decent level. Take Care ! Paul

domdib

Most impressive! I've also found the NWDA presets instructive to play with.

FrankB

Really nice Paul, a great start into TG2!

Cheers,
Frank

choronr

I agree with Frank; keep on, there are an infinite number of things to learn and experiment with here. This program is outstanding.

tempaccount

Relative newcomer in here too, I moved from TG 0.9 after using it for a week or two (great timing), so I didn't have much time to get used to the old program before I started absorbing the huge amount of features in TG2.

The way I worked my way around things was that I used a pre-generated heightmap and started plotting down surface layers and trying to work out all the kinks from surface shaders, while reading the current documention about 3-4 times over ;D

Anyway, what I really would've appreciated in the documentation section was an explanation of a basic workflow on how to create a moderately complex scene with multiple surface layers, clouds, water, all that - from start to finish. The tutorials are good on their own - I'd never reached anything like my first render without them - but I found out they didn't really give me out a view of the "big picture", and I found out how to use surface layers, child layers, distribution shaders, and other things mainly by experimenting.

The NWDA tutorials were of a great help in this, especially the creating the "Wilderness" scene which taught me how to use fake rocks. Props to those guys!

I know one shouldn't offer critique without a solution, so maybe I'll write something of a scene tutorial myself - I don't know how the others approach constructing a full scene from start to finish, but maybe it would be helpful to someone.

Oh, and great looking scene there by the way!

pclavett

Agree that the official documentation so far leaves a lot to experimenting and hopefully we will get more in the near future and maybe Planetside can comment on this. I imagine that there cannot be a totally complete manual explaining everything on this software but still some further explanation on how to organize nodes and how to manipulate shaders would be appreciated. I have no idea of the use of a lot of items in these nodes and shaders. I get anxious thinking of setting some of those items on or off ! Still it is fun experimenting but a bit more direction is likely warranted ! The forum goes some way in doing this and thanks again to the various people that help us newcomers along !!! :)

Take Care !

Paul

Oshyan

There is really no one "best" workflow, so the documentation doesn't exactly cover that. But it will offer recommended settings (or starting settings at least), and details on how to work with all the various scene elements.

- Oshyan