Job Survey Results

Started by rcallicotte, November 10, 2008, 01:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

I would've thought the California/Oregon/Washington area would've been a higher paid one, with Silicon Valley and Redmond. Definately interesting, I wonder if there's a similar thing for the UK. It's a bit all over the place but most IT work is in Surrey.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

reck

Quote from: PG on November 10, 2008, 04:01:32 PM
I wonder if there's a similar thing for the UK. It's a bit all over the place but most IT work is in Surrey.

Huh is it really? Is there some report on that somewhere. I wonder why Surrey of all places.

PG

That's what I wanted to know, I haven't seen one, I just happen to have applied for a job at most UK based game developers, publishers, software developers, etc, etc. and the great majority are in surrey, usually Guildford or Chertsey.

Inscrutable

Yeah, my last job was monitoring the South East economy (I'm a civil servant -please don't hate me!) so am very familiar with the Surrey concentration of IT jobs.  There's also a further cluster of games companies around Brighton (I think Kuju is down there) and outside the SE there's there are games development clusters in the north west, and Aberdeen in Scotland.

Surrey has a very high concerntation of high-tech industries as a whole, and it's not really that surprising considering it has arguably the best transport connections in the SE (the region is notoriously badly supplied in transport terms, despite having a) the highest population of any of the English regions apart from London and b) a massive economic footprint).  Surrey, unlike the rest of the region has good rail connections and good road links to London in the form of the M3 and M4 motorways.  Perhaps more importantly, there's the proximity to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

Inscrutable

PG

And then of course there's the A308, at night, in many ways, it's quicker than the M4 and you get to go past stonehenge. If you're going London to the West Country it's A308 for me every time. What a road, what a road. :D