A Problem

Started by darthvader, November 11, 2008, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Even with the problems, this image looks pretty nice.  I really like the ground and foliage.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

neuspadrin

I seem to have same problem with some of my populations in beta too.  Its currently rendering at home, ill hop on once back and upload a picture of the issue areas.  It just seems to not realize it should be rendering part of a plant or something in certain areas.

ok, back home.  image is almost done.  just as a note, i tried a 1920x1200, and then bumped it down after first render failed due to memory, then i borrowed 4 more gigs of ram from a friend (brining my total to 8gigs... and making sure tg2 had the full 4 gigs to it as im in 64bit vista).

Anyways, noticed a few population errors (along with some errors of my own that i plan to fix next render because ive noticed some things wrong with it. Heres the image with the errors with the render that i think are render side.  Some might just be the models, but it seems too odd to be the models, as often they are exact right angles. The models are all thanks to lightning, except the tree stump which i plan to replace later as its a holder stump i had in objects from someone on forum but i dont know who so sorry but technically their credit.

Another thing ive noticed: the timer has just stopped dead at 8:14:11s.  But it keeps updating with more of the image.  Its definitely been over 12 hours now, the timer must've killed itself 4 hours ago?  Also the image seems to be updating in huge chunks quickly, then nothing for a long time.  Before if you watched you could slowly see it add more pixel by pixel.

also the render appears done, but its still waiting.... dont know what on.  terragen is using 0 processor, but ~3.4 gigs of ram.

*sorry for the artifacts in the picture from compressing, but you can still somewhat see what im talking about in the circled regions*

neuspadrin

just some side notes:

my system:
64 bit vista sp1
Core2 Quad 2.4 ghz
8 gigs of ram

render settings:
1680x1050
detail: .8
aa: 4
gi relative detail: 3
gi sample quality: 3
gi blur radius: 8

GI surface details is checked.

no errors or warnings were put up during the render.

also, because the render appears done, and has been for a good hour or so now, and it showing 0 cpu usage with 3.4gigs ram (at a steady amount used, never fluctuates), when i hit pause it goes straight to 25% cpu, while staying in 3.4 ram range, but its fluctuating up and down... just seems pause would casue the cpu to work less, not way more ;)

i got bored of waiting and just hit stop on it and saved.  it seemed to be stuck and unable to finish.  When i came back from pause it would say Rendering... but never put a time down for length, or anything.  CPU started to stay 0 after awhile, didnt go up to 25% anymore (i think it was rendering the preview render). 

bigben

Quote from: neuspadrin on November 18, 2008, 11:47:50 PM
also, because the render appears done, and has been for a good hour or so now, and it showing 0 cpu usage with 3.4gigs ram (at a steady amount used, never fluctuates), when i hit pause it goes straight to 25% cpu, while staying in 3.4 ram range, but its fluctuating up and down... just seems pause would casue the cpu to work less, not way more ;)

i got bored of waiting and just hit stop on it and saved.  it seemed to be stuck and unable to finish.  When i came back from pause it would say Rendering... but never put a time down for length, or anything.  CPU started to stay 0 after awhile, didnt go up to 25% anymore (i think it was rendering the preview render). 

Pausing the render would allow the preview render to start...?

One thing I found with running 2 threads is that pausing the render would sometimes cause one of the threads to halt without error, leaving the first thread to complete it's share of buckets.

neuspadrin

Well the render was technically done visually at least. And i started the render with preview render at like 10% quality, but after the pause for a bit, and noticing it going up to 25% cpu, then back to 0, the preview render was at 100%.  Realized that once i checked the render settings.

Oshyan

It's hard to say these aren't memory-related issues. Even though you should theoretically have more memory to play with at "only" 3.4GB, it could be a problem allocating a "chunk" of needed sized. Can you describe more about your scene? What is pushing memory use so high? I have a scene with 2 large heightfields, several million population instances, and a large reflective lake, and it barely gets above 2GB...

- Oshyan