Feel'n a bit Spikey ?

Started by rmfrase, November 15, 2008, 08:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmfrase

Attached is the image and the .tdg file.  This image is a crop of a WIP where I wanted to have the ocean waves a bit above the horizon to put the viewer into the image.

In the cloud section, I had several "Unknown" error messages, but it kept rendering away - but I did notice that a block of sky was missing from the initial plotting.

Any suggestions?

Mohawk20

I'm currently running a little test...
I feel that with a water plane this size, you really don't need the terrain at all, let alone the water shader on the terrain, as it isn't visible at all.
I disabled it and am rendering a very low quality to see what happens.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

In a cropped area I couldn't see any spikes anymore...
What I did was disconnect the terrain an surface shader network from the planet shader, so the planet was only connected to the atmo.
Howgh!

Oshyan

It looks like there is a very high frequency, strongly displaced surface or terrain (judging by the image, not the .TGD which I haven't looked at yet). Let's see if Mohawk's experiments resolve things...

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Try using a distance shader on the very high frequancy displacement. High frequancy displacement would not be noticeable a few meters from the camera so try fading it our from say 10m to 30m (adjust to your requirements).
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Try disabling all of your surface shaders (connect base colours to planet), disable lake, connect the displacement shader for your water into the original computer terrain and increase the displacement multiplier to bring the terrain up close to the camera... render that and see if there are any spikes that may be exacerbated by the water surface.