Quick Question

Started by Will, January 17, 2007, 06:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Can you run a image file though the planet shader so you get a preplanned shape of a contenint or are they only from the seed?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Will

§ardine

Unfortunately the planet surface shader only has the one input node. I was messing around with this last night mainly because I was wanting to make use of the ocean options with my planetary image – no go.

Guess I'll have to stick with surface layer distributions for now  :(

Will

Darn that what I was planing to do...aw well thanks for the reply :)

Regards,

Will

Will

So how do you use the surface layer to create and image with a displaced image?

Regards,

Will

§ardine

Ok  I did some more playing around with it since we were on the subject :) you can get your displaced image to show up through the PLS (planet surface shader). However, it seems that the planet is read as flat – or smooth :), to the PLS. The ocean is then "stretched" over it as you can see in the picture. (I turned the continent amplidude down in the PLS so it wouldn't displace my image)
[attach=#1]
[attach=#2]
I think I'll stick with my original opinion of this not working -the effect here is pretty cool, but there are better ways of doing it.

You posted while I was putting this together, you might want to check this thread out:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=232.0

Will

Thank you, ill try this stuff :)

hey do you get the error when moveing within the preveiw of T2Tp crashing?

Regards,

Will

§ardine

Not sure what error you're talking about. I did have some geometry not being drawn at one point (like half the planet lol) I think it was when I changed the Continent Scale in the PLS that's why I ended up adjusting the amplitude instead.

Will

I played around but it seemed that it created the displacment but it also created its own continent but even with amplitude of 0 it still shows the color

§ardine

Try bringing the ocean level up, that's the key.  ;)

[attachurl=#1]
[attachurl=#2]

[edit]
I also turned the multiplier up to 100000 on the displacement shader to over exagerate the image map
(just in case you didn't notice)  ;D

Will

K, Ill try it :)

Regards,

Will

Will

have you noticed that the atmosphere don't render?

Regards,

Will

§ardine

lol yeah sorry, I didn't mention I disabled it  ;D

Will

oh, that would explain it ;)

regards,

Will

Oshyan

The Planetary Surface Shader is still in a bit of an experimental state. It's not terribly versatile or compatible with other shaders and is really best for simple planet effects and little more. Although it takes a lot more effort, you can achieve more realistic and most of all versatile and powerful effects with the built-in surface mapping ("Shaders") system, including full continents and mountain chains and sophisticated displacement handling and surface distribution. Experimentation is of course encouraged but for now if you want anything beyond the basic effect the Planetary Surface Shader provides, you're probably best just creating your own setup through the Shaders.

- Oshyan