Chrome problem with the Beta

Started by Mandrake, November 16, 2008, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Quote from: Mandrake on November 21, 2008, 07:17:24 AM
He just told you Kevin. Haven't ried this in a while. Mr. Lampost seemed to like this better also.

"1. Index of refraction is OK with higher values, so try increasing that if you want a good amount of reflectivity at any angle. "

Yes, I know what he said, but I don't read it as having to increase refractive index to silly values which you have to do to get anything like chrome.
I've uploaded my original with high reflections (10) and a new one with reflection 1 and refractive index 8. the later is better overall but the first looks more chrome like.

buzzzzz1

The one difference I notice is, the sharp edges on the 2nd image look better.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Mandrake

The thing I notice is that the render engine may not be finishing the work.
Or is that copper color supposed to be there?

Matt

The index of refraction parameter is for Fresnel reflection, whereas chrome is different. Chrome reflects light uniformly in all directions, but you can approximate that by using very high indices of refraction. 20 or 30 are high enough to get nearly uniform reflection.

The first image probably looks more like what you expect just because it is brighter. But the reflections are brighter than the sky it's reflecting, which is impossible. So really what you need to do is make the sky brighter, not make the object more reflective.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: Mandrake on November 21, 2008, 11:10:22 AM
The thing I notice is that the render engine may not be finishing the work.
Or is that copper color supposed to be there?

That's just the reflection of the other part of the object, which is reflecting sky.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

dandelO

IOR=30 looks great with reflectivity=1. Thanks, Matt!

Mandrake

Wow, that's high, 30 ior, dandelo, I'll give that a try. Thanks

Kevin F

Hi, my "pan of potatoes in the desert" has ior 30 and reflectivity 1 for the pan.
works for me  -thanx to Matt.

Mr_Lamppost

I have been out of the loop for a while so only just noticed this.  My results for chrome, referred to earlier were posted over on Ashundar:

http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?topic=4043.msg35755#msg35755

I have added the Soft Chrome clip to the file sharing section.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5341.new#new
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.