Core i7

Started by rcallicotte, November 17, 2008, 02:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Anyone know anything about this?  Is this the chip Oshyan said would be coming out at the end of this year?

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9120438&source=NLT_HW&nlid=51
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Well it brought back hyperthreading which is interesting for intel.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

PG

Yeah currently scan.co.uk are selling them from between £259 which is the 2.66GHz OEM and £892 which is the 3.2GHz Retail. To be honest I'd buy the £516 2.93 and overclock it a bit. That's what I did with my E8400. It's only 3GHz but it's also half the price of the E8500 3.2GHz, or it was when I got it and I can overclock it further than the E8500. The prices'll go down though. I'd never pay that much for a processor which will only make a slight difference. Hyperthreading is used in about 2 of the programs that I've ever considered using and one of them was CPU-z ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

PorcupineFloyd

Ain't hyperthreading being used by any program which knows how to use multithreading? It's meant to make double thread for every core resulting in eight logical cores and it's meant to produce an approximately 15% increase in computational power.

PG

Programs do use it if they're multithreaded but it's still only one core that the operating system is tricked into thinking are two cores, the overhead is massive unless a program is specifically designed to know accomodate this which total about 15 programs :D The processor still does everything one at a time so sending two instructions to be processed at the "same time" creates an issue where the instructions have to be queued up. It's a very British affair :P

Will

It was solved by the legalization of "cutsies" in most formal ques.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

king_tiger_666

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

rcallicotte

@king_tiger_666 - That would be brilliant.

Oshyan

Hyperthreading actually appears to be a good deal more effective and efficient on Core i7 (Nehalem). It's also faster clock-for-clock than the Core 2 architecture, especially for rendering tasks. I'll probably be getting one early next year. :)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

I don't think I want to spend the money to go to Core i7, since it will mean a motherboard change and more $$.  What is anyone's observation about why this first CPU is worth $50 more than the second?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

Between 2.85GHz and 3.0GHz - so...?

PG

Yeah they always do that. The 3GHz core I7 is about £200 more expensive than the 2.93GHz one. no brainer really. How effective is 0.7GHz? And you can easily overclock a 2.83 to a 3. Wouldn't need to do anything other than increasing the FSB speed.

FrankB

afaik, there's no such thing as FSB with the i7 anymore. I may be confusing things, but I recall that the memory controller now sits inside the CPU, hence shares the frequency with the CPU. Or something along those lines. I'm not a HW pro, though.
As for the i7's, I think the slowest of the three (which I have), provides the best bang for the buck... for the moment.

moodflow

I now have a core i7 PC and I am not looking back!  I bought a pre-assembled Gateway rig, and its virtually silent, runs cooler, and much faster than my older quad core (2.4GHz) that I just sold. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

leafspring

Quote from: PG on November 17, 2008, 03:59:50 PMThat's what I did with my E8400. It's only 3GHz but it's also half the price of the E8500 3.2GHz, or it was when I got it and I can overclock it further than the E8500.
Although your post is about 2 month old...
Just out of interest: How far did you come with overclocking the E8400?
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka