Water Applied to Specific Terrain

Started by rcallicotte, January 17, 2007, 12:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Here I have water applied to all of the terrain, including the inverse crater shader I created.  I would like to know how I only apply water to only the crater shader and not everything else.

Anything you can explain or show to me would be appreciated.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Ill take a look.
that still looks cool in it self ;)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Will

Try puting the crator into the height field that may work. got a .TDG so we can see it all?

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Here's the TGD.  I tried doing everything in the terrain, but that didn't work...at least, how I did it did not work.

Will

Thanks, Im playing around with it now. By the way do you know how to create on ocean over a displaced image using the surface layer shader?

Regards,

Will

Njen

I suggest taking a look at this thread. This method seems to be having a degree of success.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=352.0

But for you, basically you would have the crater and water going into seperate terrains, and merge them using a mask.

[Edit]: it seems the crater shader does not work with a Colour Adjust Shader...I'll play around with it some more.

Will

yea thats what I found as well...let the race begin!

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I was wondering about using separate Compute Terrains.  But, are you saying I should have the cater shader and the water shader in separate terrains?  I would have thought it would be the crater shader and the regular terrain are in different terrains, then add my water shader to the crater shader. 

I'm at work, so I'll do this as I have time (I want to make time).

Quote from: njen on January 17, 2007, 01:41:22 PM
I suggest taking a look at this thread. This method seems to be having a degree of success.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=352.0

But for you, basically you would have the crater and water going into seperate terrains, and merge them using a mask.

[Edit]: it seems the crater shader does not work with a Colour Adjust Shader...I'll play around with it some more.

Njen

I was trying all these fancy setups when I realised I am being too complicated.

Here are two methods that hopefully will get you what you want. The first one is basically creating a new planet that is slightly bigger and has the base colour applied to it, so the crater with the shader sticks out.

The second one uses a Distribution Shader based on altitude.

Are these ok?

[Edit]: I noticed that I entered a value of 6.378001e+006 for the second planet's radius, but it rounded it to 6.378e+006 when the file is opened again. Just add the extra '001' to the number for the duration of your session and it should be fine.

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I'll look at these.  Your work is appreciated.

Will

Nice work njen, My set up was basicaly the same as your displacment-altude model.

Regards,

Will

3DGuy

I'd recon using a distribution shader to set the minimum height for the water. That way, only the pillar will have water

rcallicotte

Thanks for all of your help.  Light source inside of purple water (inverted crater) set to 1e+008.  Sun on the horizon is set to strength = 1.

Oshyan

The Water Shader works very similarly to most other shaders so for example you can control it by altitude, slope, fractal breakup, etc. That would be the best way in this case, rather than the more complex, render-intensive and error-prone multi-planet or multi-terrain approaches.

- Oshyan