"Down Below" - Update 1

Started by FrankB, November 19, 2008, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi there,

here's another WIP. It's in its early stages of development, but I would like to share a preview render now, because I would like to invite you to develop it with me further, with your ideas and advice.

We're looking down a cliff wall at the bottom of a little wood. I've added a little stream of water at the bottom.
The terrain is a heightfield, but the lateral displacements are sourced from an alpine fractal shader plus a bitmap plus the cracks'n gashes function network I have posted a few months back. There are mosses growing in the depressions of the steep cliff's wall. The plants are from Floraworks3D.

This is a 0.74 quality preview render, took ~1.5 hrs on my machine at this size.

Looking forward to your comments.

[attachimg=#]

RArcher

This is starting out really nice Frank.  I like the rock and moss idea, and I hope you develop it even further with the occasional tuft of grasses hanging out.  The stream seems quite successful and I like the AA bloom that you are getting.  Which Filter did you use for this one? 

To my eye there seems to be something not quite right about the composition of the piece.  I am not sure whether it is from the big pine tree or if it is the aspect ratio.

Looking forward to seeing whatever updates you make.

Mohawk20

Hey, you nicked my concept!!!

I thought up this anim while hearing U2 - Vertigo, about doing a bungeejump shot, while falling down (not figured out if it's going to end well, or just with a black screen...  ;)). It should need a cliff like this, and a bit of water at the bottom...

But I really like what you did with this. Love the displacements, I can never get those.
Howgh!

RogueNZ

Looks really promising! But i also agree theres something not quite right about the composition, but its hard to pinpoint.

lonewolf

The trees look too big for the cliff scale to me. Other than that, great start.

Iain

rcallicotte

I like the beginning and the POV is great.  More attention to rocks' shiny surfaces and their details might lift this up more.  The crispness of your vegetation might be helped with more AA and I would increase the Soft Clip effect to 1.5 or 1.75 to soften the look.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

yeah, will try tweaking some of these things. I may try a higher AA on the final render, though.
The displacements need more detail, they cannot stand up to rendering in a much higher resolution at the moment.
As for the point of view/composition thing... I prbably will have to make the wall even steeper to look right in concert with the trees.

I'm still thinking about objects for ground cover. Any ideas/links?

Also, the grasses on the wall, they all point upwards - doesn't look quite right, hm? Also, they're not very prominent at the moment.

I'll be showing a newer version this evening (hopefully).

Regards,
Frank

MacGyver

Quote from: RArcher on November 19, 2008, 04:01:51 PM
To my eye there seems to be something not quite right about the composition of the piece.  I am not sure whether it is from the big pine tree or if it is the aspect ratio.

Am I too late? ;D Perhaps it would help to increase the vertical size of the image. Or maybe I'm just finally getting used to 16:10 monitors ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Finally had the chance to evolve the scene a little.
I'm still not happy with it. However this time it rendered with 0.9 quality and a little bigger.
I had to up the exposure on the dark parts too much in postwork - I had the brightnes of the needle textures down to almost black, which I noticed too late.
So what do you think?

Cheers,
Frank

[attach=#]

FrankB

... can it be that the forum is compressing images a lot stronger lately?
The one you can see uploaded here is way to strongly compressed.
It has much more details on my screen... strange.

Frank

lonewolf

Overall scale looks much improved. The rock textures are good. Not too sure about the grass sticking out sideways from the cliff on the far right. You may need a bent model or rotate them a bit more.
The ground cover is coming along well. Can't wait to see the next version.

Iain

rcallicotte

I agree with Lonewolf and I'm not sure about the compression.  Maybe Oshyan knows.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

The forum should only be compressing images if it has to resize them. Normally that is not the case as it will simply disallow posting of images larger than its max size limit.

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

I did like the PoV of the first image better :-)