Another Contest...From Film?

Started by rcallicotte, November 24, 2008, 08:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

What do you say?  Are we ready for another contest?  If so, how is this for an idea? --

• We can work in teams
  • We can work as individuals
  • The theme would be based upon what we agree upon in this thread, but let's duplicate a movie scene that everyone has access to see either by movies or by still images
  • We will eventually post a poll to decide which scene or scenes are allowed into the entries, but the goal will be the same for everyone - duplicating from the same scene or scenes
  • Postwork is allowed, but less than 30% - no heavy postwork allowed[edit - Postwork is allowed]
  • We might need to allow work from other 3D applications, but let's find points of agreement
  • The render must be accomplished in TG2 only - this is critical to the integrity of the contest
  • Professionals are invited, but only if they work blindfolded  ;D  Kidding, of course, but everyone is welcome

Any more ideas, before we start brainstorming to agree upon the contest rules?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Is the goal an animation, or just still images?
Howgh!

rcallicotte

For now, let's stay with still images.  Is this alright?  I'm concerned that some of us (me included) do not have enough experience with animations yet and it might be better to wait until Planetside re-works these tools anyway.

What does anyone think?  What do you think, Mohawk?

Mohawk20

I like it, I'm in!
(Always up for a challenge!)

Howgh!

Will

I'm in, though if we do animations or images we should split up the voting.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

PG

I'm in, but only for still images. I can't work out the animations much past turning the camera round :D.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Don't worry guys, there won't be any anims.

Though maybe for those who like we could animate the winning scene after the competition...
Howgh!

dandelO

I'd be up for this, I love doing recreations. Stills though.

Will

I have kinda wanted to make vergon 6, from futurama.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Okay then.  We need ideas...more ideas.   ;D

dandelO

Well, do we all work to the same movie or do we have an open choice?
How about a list of say 5(or so) different movies that we can all choose from to make a TG scene? Post a list and each member choose your poison...

cyphyr

I think this is a great idea but (and I may be jumping ahead of myself here) I would like to see a contest focusing on how Terragen could be used in a real world scenario. I can almost guarantee that Terragen (or any other landscape app) will never be used entirely on its own in a production environment. It will always be part of a composite workflow incorporating elements taken from other packages. Imagine your working for a Hollywood studio, the technical director of the next big block buster needs some stunning imagery for the climax/intro/establishing shot. Your task would be to create set extensions, matt paintings or sfx seamlessly incorporating real world footage and Terragen originated atrwork. The challenge would match lighting/texturing and camera/object positioning between different apps, real world footage and Terragen. Not an easy challenge but I think were more than up to the task. There is a wealth of talent here, a desire to learn and a community of artists who are very willing to share their knowledge, we can all learn from eachother.
What d'ya think?
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Moose

Quote from: calico on November 24, 2008, 08:00:03 AM

Any more ideas, before we start brainstorming to agree upon the contest rules?

I like the animations idea. :)

Working in teams would facilitate:

• rendering to be split amongst team members (for those with Deep + Anim).
  • animation and asset interchange techniques between TG2 and other packages to be established (ie documented).
  • ideal opportunity for people not so au fait with animation or working in a 'pipeline' to gain a better understanding.

About the post work: I feel that anything and in any amount should be permitted, as long as TG2 plays an important role - the final image or sequence afterall is all that matters (2.5D projections, matte painting, heavy compositing usage and other 'cheat' techniques should all be acceptable). A stipulation would be that WIP threads are thorough and clearly show TG2's usage.

As animation can be time consuming (err, duh), we should aim at creating and utilising novel techniques for generating fast renders. It might be more practical if entries were of small resolution but accompanied by larger res stills at key (interesting) points to highlight the detail. The winning entry is then re-rendered at a larger res with the job distributed amongst all teams (or those individuals who wish to help out, at least). This isn't really that important anyway, what is, is to get some good techniques and workflows documented.

This challenge is more involved than the previous one, but there are pros on this board that can already pull this stuff off (and a whole host of others who can if pushed / guided, I think) - if they haven't got the time perhaps they could contribute as team advisers or mentors. With careful teaming this can work. What do say, too much or no?

EDIT: cyphyr, you beat me to it. I'm with you. :)

Mohawk20

I think Animations scare most people, but I'm with you if you want to do an animation.
Howgh!

Esgalachoir

The first thing that always comes to my mind when I think of recreating scenes with T2 are shots from the Lord of the Rings.  The Great Tree of Lothlorien would be cool.(The way it originally was described by Tolkien would suit T2 much better, but it's the artist's call obviously)
Another one would be the big stone kings guarding the Anduin river(If somebody did that right, it'd look amazing).  There is, of course, Mt. Doom, there are the Gates of Mordor, we have Minas Tirith, the village of Rohan, Helm's Deep, Barad-dur(Sauron's Tower).  Ents would rather be a challange to recreate, I would think.  It goes on indefinitely...oh yeah, you can't forget the Grey Havens, Isengard, Rivendell, or the Lonely Mountain!(and of course, the Shire)
I'm sure people have already tried doing LOTR with Terragen, but I don't recall seeing anything especially noteworthy.

I can think of a few shots from the "Aliens" movies that might be interesting.  Some shots from Indiana Jones might be cool(Particularly the Last Crusade, when they go to Petra)
Star Wars offers limitless possibilities...but I think I've already seen this done.

There are more:  The Mummy, Deep Impact, the Abyss, Robinson Crusoe on Mars(on older movie), Independence Day, Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park, Godzilla...

Myriads upon myriads of ideas...
Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll have the time this season.  I'm still considering trying something, though.