Sand Castles

Started by moodflow, November 24, 2008, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

I've been wanting to throw something like this together for a while.  Something simple, effective, fun.  Getting kinda burnt out on spending days (or weeks) dialing in an image only to be disappointed (though its part of the learning process).

Resolution:  1024x768
Quality:  1.0
Render time:  ~5 hours

Displacements:  inverted crater shaders with a few tweaks
Surfacing:  standard power fractals for the displacements, image projected "sand" for the flats (I love this technique, though it can't be animated)
Atmosphere/Clouds:  standard atmosphere, standard clouds with a few tweaks
Postwork:  very subtle color correction, levels, and selective blurring/sharpening
Story:  Somewhere on Earth, in the present, distant past, or distant future, there is a large basin with the sand blasted remnants of a once great mountain range...  (sounds dramatic enough to me  ;D)

Many thanks for looking...

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

mhaze

inkydigit

excellent ....love the mood here!

Kevin F

love this. A very powerful image, with nice subtle lighting.

"image projected "sand" for the flats", care to elaborate?

MacGyver

Looks very Sci-Fi to me! :) :D ;D
I love it!
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Mahnmut

moodflow

Quote from: Kevin F on November 24, 2008, 02:22:14 PM
love this. A very powerful image, with nice subtle lighting.

"image projected "sand" for the flats", care to elaborate?

Kevin,

Yes, I took a highly detailed panorama image (which I created a while back) and projected it onto the flat ground surface using the camera projection option in the image map shader.  I made sure to line up the horizon in the image with the horizon in TG2, and then also had it constrained to a certain altitude and slope level so it would flow up and between the rocks of the pillars.  If I didn't align the horizons, things would look a bit off in perspective, as well as the blue sky from the image being projected onto the flat ground. 

Its a great technique to use if you want to fill up a flat plane area, but as stated, would not work in an animation.  This would require planar mapping with a tiled texture.  I have a tileable version of this same sand image for this purpose.  With a little more work, I could have made it look nearly identical, but as stated, I wanted to throw something together quickly.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

PorcupineFloyd

This really is a lovely scene.

Sand looks absolutely real.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

otakar

Wonderful. One of the best in the past few months. Could make this my desktop background if this were larger...

Esgalachoir

Sweet, totally awesome displacements.  I like the sand.

efflux

Awesome! This is one of the best images I've seen from TG2.

nvseal

Another fantastic scene Moodflow. Bigger!!

Saurav

Beautiful render. Simple you say, I say one of the best out of TG2 so far.