I did it...

Started by FrankB, November 30, 2008, 09:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Yes!!! I have built a new PC!

Can't tell you what a difference it makes, compared to my old Socket 939 AMD X2. I now run ..
Core i7 - 2.66 GHz cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P
8 GB 1333 RAM
ASUS P6T Deluxe mobo
2 x 500GB Maxtor on Raid 1
NVidia 260 Graphics Card from EVGA
Vista 64 Bit

... all in a nice Lian-Li PC-V2110 case

Yipee!

Frank

cyphyr

Looks a very sweet set up, you got the case I was after last summer, very cool, out of stock when I was buying. Let us know your benchmark results :)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PG

What's the Core i7 like? I've been considering getting the 2.93GHz (no point spending double the money on an extra 0.07GHz ::)) but the fact that it's not a 775 socket put me off.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

FrankB

Karsten's benchmark finishes in 46 seconds on a default, not overclocked system. See this:

[attachimg=#]

I haven't followed the becnhmark discussions, so I'm not sure if a newer benchmark exists. If you have any pointers, I'll try these too.

PG, it's true, if you want to run the core i7, you have to have not only a new motherboard, but most likely also new RAM, and a new cooler (although new brackets for the old one MIGHT do). Also, I have chosen to buy the i920, not his faster brothers. The price point was simply not justifying it. Also, overclocking by ~15% is easy and the system can be kept stable.

I'm lovin' it  ;D

Cyphyr, the case is really nice, indeed. It's silent, too. If I count the fan from the graphics card, there are 5 fans running in the case simultaneously, but they only issue a soothing little hum - not to be compared with my old stock cooler, which was really loud when the system was under load.
Now, full load, the cpu temperature seems unimpressed, doesn't go beyond 48 degrees (celsius of course) and keeps humming away silently. I can only recommend it.

Frank

PG

coolio. I've got a liquid cooling system which has about a billion cpu plates so that should be ok. ;D I didn't know you had to replace the RAM, is it still DDR2 or are they forcing DDR3 like they did with the switch to core 2 duo and DDR2?

FrankB

You have to have DDR3, but the good thing is that the Core i7 infrastructure can finally make use of it, with the FSB being history, and the memory controller built into the cpu (if I understood that correctly). So it supports and can make use of 1666 freq DDR3 RAM, which makes it incredibly fast. DDR3 at 1666 is still twice the price like 1333, so I made a compromise here, but that's ok with me.

Mohawk20

Soo, what did it cost you? I might be persuaded if I knew that...  ;)
Howgh!

FrankB

Quote from: Mohawk20 on November 30, 2008, 04:02:50 PM
Soo, what did it cost you? I might be persuaded if I knew that...  ;)

I'm sure you don't wanna know!
But it's easy to do the maths (all in Euro): ~270 for the cpu, about the same for the graphics card, about the same for the mobo, 150 for RAM. Then add the usual suspects like power supply, storage, cpu cooler, case, wlan, and... a KVM switch. Yes, I kept my old PC for work, it stands next to the new one. But who wants to purchase yet another screen (I have a dual screen setup), keyboard, mouse, loudspeakers? Hence the switch. Works great, click a button and your screen(s) switch to the other PC, and your mouse and keyboard switch there, too. Sound as well. Works great.

Cheers,
Frank

PG

So that's about £568 or $873

Mohawk20

Actually, I come out at €1140 if my estimates on the 'usual suspects' are correct. So thats actually more like £946 or $1451 PG, and that's quite a lot for me right now...  :-[
Howgh!

PG

I was only counting the CPU, motherboard and RAM. That's all you'd need to upgrade. The rest are just nice new things to have.

rcallicotte

Hope you enjoy your new system, Frank.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

I'm going for a similar setup this x-mas, what RAM did you get? Also I'm looking at the ABS Canyon 695 for a case (anyone know anyone with this, got a lot of good reviews).
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Will on December 02, 2008, 07:21:57 PM
I'm going for a similar setup this x-mas, what RAM did you get? Also I'm looking at the ABS Canyon 695 for a case (anyone know anyone with this, got a lot of good reviews).

Sounds like a really awesome machine Frank!  @Will 600 bucks for a case! If you got it buy all means spend it! LOL  I just hook all my parts up loose on the desk top.  ;)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

Quote from: Will on December 02, 2008, 07:21:57 PM

I got 2 times OCZ DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (OCZ3P13334GK)

.. I have been too cheap for the 1666 RAMs ;-)