Film / Novel Location Contest - POLL CLOSED - LOTR is the Winner

Started by rcallicotte, November 30, 2008, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which film / novel best represents a place you would like to recreate?

FUTURAMA - Location on Vergon 6
LOTR -The Great Tree of Lothlorien
LOTR - Giant stone kings guarding the Anduin river
LOTR - Mount Doom
LOTR - Gates of Mordor
LOTR - Minas Tirith
LOTR - Village of Rohan
LOTR - Helm's Deep
LOTR - Barad-dur(Sauron's Tower)
LOTR - The Grey Havens
LOTR - Isengard
LOTR - Rivendell
LOTR - The Lonely Mountain
LOTR - The Shire
LOTR - Gandolf's fall into the deep pit (the pit, with or without characters)
LOTR - Site of greenDragonTavern near Hobbiton
LOTR - Emyn Muir
MYST
HARRY POTTER
INDIANA JONES
JURASSIC PARK
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
STAR WARS
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

rcallicotte

LOTR won with 23 votes.  Any content from the LOTR can be used, whether from the novel or from the books and this includes any of the offshoots from the main trilogy.

I will put up an official site in the Images section in about two weeks.  I would prefer to keep one location for all of the images for the contest to make it easier to vote.  The contest will last until January 15th.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Is a requirement of this contest that all work in progress is posted?
richard

<edit> maybe I should have said request rather that requirement</edit>
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

No.  Do you see an advantage or disadvantage either way?  People can always share what they're doing here.

Quote from: cyphyr on December 07, 2008, 11:47:53 AM
Is a requirement of this contest that all work in progress is posted?
richard

cyphyr

Yes of course :)
Since there is no prize (well, except for bragging rights lol ;D) the point of these contests is surely to share our knowledge and learn from each other. A WIP thread for each contestant will allow us to not only learn, but to also advise and critique each others work. Maybe its too complex to organize but I will show my working through the duration of the comp and hopefully some can learn from me and (from my point of view) I might actually get some decent critique and feedback so I will be better at the end than at the start :)
Just my penny worth
Richard
Ps I didn't mean that it should be a requirement, but rather a request that we share not only our finished work but also our journey :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

PG

Yeah I think that's the best thing. There's a lot of things that keep coming up, new questions of exactly the same thing so if we can root them out then we can help each other to strengthen our skills in our weak areas while at the same time providing newcomers with access to, what would effectively be, tutorials.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

Sharing what we know sounds like a great idea...and maybe someday Planetside will put on a contest similar to this with some sort of prize by some sponsors or...something.   ;D

cyphyr

Just had an I idea, probably daft, it was a good bottle of wine anyway ;)
How about presenting the challenge thus :)

Hi
I'm Peter Jackson and as you know I'm in negotiations regarding the forthcoming "Hobbit" movie. A large part of the movie will require virtual sets and set extensions. As such I require high quality visuals to advise and direct the team behind this creative effort. Using references from the LoTR Trilogy, Tolkien s Books and relevant source material please provide high quality location imagery of the locations mentioned throughout the LoTR universe.

etc. etc. ....

During the chalange we (the forumn members) could respond to each others threads as if we were Peter or his representative .....

Like I say, it was a good bottle of wine lol
What d'ya think :)

richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

dandelO

I've had 3 LOTR scenes on the go for a few days now. I think I've settled on my final choice for this contest though. I think...

rcallicotte

@cyphyr, uh...maybe let's talk about this in the morning.   ;D

@dandelO, I've already started working on some techniques and haven't chosen a scene yet.  We've got such a wonderfully broad choice of places. 

cyphyr

Err yeah sobered up now lol :D
Are you planning to formally announce the start of the contest?
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\