Supercomputer - Nvidia Tesla

Started by sjefen, November 26, 2008, 09:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Nvidia Tesla

I wonder how rendering in Terragen 2 would be like with one of these.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

The problem is that TG2 doesn't run on GPU's right?

Well Matt, I know something you can work on after the final release  ;)
Howgh!

PG

Indeed not. These computers do have an option when you're buying them to have 2 CPUs though because they have that intel Skull thing mobo. But the latency between them would be greater than mick jaggers flailing limbs. You'd be better off getting something like an Orion DS96 but I'm not sure if they're still going. They're website's been down for a couple of years now ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

old_blaggard

Yeah, I think that it would be great if Terragen was ported to work within something like CUDA or OpenCL in the future, but it probably won't happen for a very long time.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

PorcupineFloyd

TG2 on GPU? That would be pure awesomeness considering how fast modern GPU's grow up.

sjefen

Hehe. I see. I didn't have time to read it all. Just saw some of it like:

• 960 cores. Massively parallel processing
  • 250x the compute performance of a PC

I'll read some more next time ::)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

PG

Currently the highest core processor personal computer is the DS96. 96 nodes (effectively cores, hence the name), 192GB of RAM, 9.6TB HDD. However, because it came out in 2004 it's not exactly very powerful any more. Only 1.4GHz Efficeon processors. The newest mini supercomputer on the market is the Cray CX1. It's more powerful, but with fewer cores. Which, to be honest, is a good thing because the overhead for any program would be insane. But here's the max spec of it
2x Xeon quad core 3.0GHz
32 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
320GB HDD
Windows HCP Server 2008 operating system
All that will set you back £16,368 which to be honest isn't too bad. But there's no GPU at all.

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: PG on November 26, 2008, 06:14:48 PM
Currently the highest core processor personal computer is the DS96. 96 nodes (effectively cores, hence the name), 192GB of RAM, 9.6TB HDD. However, because it came out in 2004 it's not exactly very powerful any more. Only 1.4GHz Efficeon processors. The newest mini supercomputer on the market is the Cray CX1. It's more powerful, but with fewer cores. Which, to be honest, is a good thing because the overhead for any program would be insane. But here's the max spec of it
2x Xeon quad core 3.0GHz
32 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
320GB HDD
Windows HCP Server 2008 operating system
All that will set you back £16,368 which to be honest isn't too bad. But there's no GPU at all.

PG,

Could you find out which Xeon Quad Core this has I have a Xeon X5428 Harpertown at 3.20GHz in my Dell T7400 Workstation.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

PG

This is the E5472 3.0GHz 12M 1600 MHz

Cyber-Angel

OK, thank you for the information.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angell

cyphyr

How about this as a combo:
Asus DSEB-DG Motherboard Dual Socket LGA771 Intel 5400 SSI EEB 3.61 RAID SATA LAN Link
plus 2 times Intel Xeon E5450 "LGA771 Harpertown" 3.00GHz (1333fsb) 12mb-cache Processor Link
with ram and graphics etc to suit?
fun if I had the cash but would it actually benefit?
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PG

Having two processors wouldn't. The overhead would be too high.

Oshyan

Quote from: PG on November 27, 2008, 11:21:02 AM
Having two processors wouldn't. The overhead would be too high.

Overheard for TG2 maybe, but not for some other multithreaded apps. It's not an inherent "overhead" problem in dual CPU Xeon systems. And that Cray machine sounds nothing special considering you can get off-the-shelf PC hardware of the same or higher level for less money...

- Oshyan