3G of RAM - No 3G Switch

Started by rcallicotte, December 04, 2008, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

oh ok. Well I've had a hunt around, apparently dells are pretty bad for this. It is reserving memory for graphics but it is still available, even though it's not showing in task manager. Basically the BIOS assigns a bit to a segment of the RAM saying that it's graphics memory, therefore task manager doesn't give a crap about it :D. However the RAM is still just RAM and as long as you're not using it for graphics, it'll still be available.
Do you have a dedicated graphics (nVidia, ATI)? if so, try changing the graphics setting in BIOS from default to PEG. I don't know exactly what graphic setting, just one that has an option called PEG.
Edit: keep forgetting to include these bits. If you find your display not working after this, reset your BIOS. That is, take the side of the case off, find a small plastic peg placed on two pins with a bare pin next to it. It should have something like CMOS_CLR or BIOS_CLR written on the motherboard next to it. Move the peg one pin over so you cover the middle pin and the pin that was previously open, leave it for 10 seconds then move it back. That'll put everything back to normal.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

I would be very careful about doing anything with the BIOS.  Any slip can possibly negotiate a dead or nearly useless PC.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

PG

well if you do get anything like that, just flip the BIOS jumper like I explained and everything goes back to the way it was. It's only overclocking that you have to be careful of.

zionner

thanks for your help everyone :D

I have a Nvidia 8500 GT 512 MB (though by the end of the week my new card will be here :D *Nvidia 9800 GTX+*

I have tried changing the setting in the BIOS, but it didnt change any of the values :(

@ JimB: :O Scarey error!!

*has never seen a RED screen from windows before*

Edit: My new Card has arrived, fitting it now :D

rcallicotte

@zionner - Hope you enjoy your new card.  I've been thinking about getting a new card...someday...

PG

yeah enjoy the card. The RSOD is an addition to windows vista. It's for the most seriously fatal errors.

zionner

I got my gig of RAM back to :P, since the card is DDR3 and the RAM is DDR2..

:D