render errors in vista64

Started by lonewolf, November 25, 2008, 02:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonewolf

Hi all. Just installed vista 64 and thought i'd try out tg with a fairly intensive scene.
Error straight up, tg shut down. Was trying to render at 1600x900 samples and quality way up.
re-started tg and tried a quick render at 320x240. it rendered, but with errors and half empy buckets.
decided to turn off smart overclocking on my gigabyte easy tune and then it rendered the quick version.
still had lots of errors, but each bucket looked full.
system is Q9550 Core2 Quad, 4GB ram, vista ultimate 64, tg2 beta (deep)

Iain

PorcupineFloyd

Check if you don't have jittering set above 1 somewhere.

Matt

Hi Iain, sorry I was slow to reply to this.

Can you provide any more information about the scene (memory use reported by the task manager, size/spacing of populations, water or other reflective objects, etc.)? If you set maximum threads to 0 in the render settings before rendering does it seem to reduce the number of errors? Is it possible to get it to render without errors after removing some things from the project?

Even on Vista 64, TG2 can only work with up to 4Gb of memory (including virtual memory), so that's not going to solve all memory-related problems.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

I use TG2 on Vista x64 with no problems, so I am pretty sure it's not specifically an x64 issue. Have you run this exact same scene successfully in a 32 bit version of Windows? If not it's hard to say it is x64-related. It may simply be a memory issue or other known problem. If you can reproduce it reliably, the more information you can provide the better.

- Oshyan