Two Cool Looking Training DVDs

Started by rcallicotte, December 08, 2008, 11:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I've seen a few of the Gnomon workshop DVDs (not these). They are cool but in my honest opinion a rip off. In fact I lost respect for some artists producing DVDs at Gnomon even although they are very talented.

It's a bit of a side issue but I ordered these:

http://thestructureofmandvd.blogspot.com/

Poor unstylish website. Badly produced video. They guy doesn't even use very good English. Paypal. You get 5 DVDs bunged in a cardboard sleeve. BUT the content is awesome for $45. This guy deserves every penny he earns from these. It's anatomy. He doesn't really teach you how to draw but teaches you how to draw anatomically correct figures from your head. It is a total wealth of knowledge being shared which I can't say for the Gnomon stuff which is spread over so many DVDs you'd have break the bank to learn very little.

The difference is that some of those people at the Gnomon site are very talented artists but not good teachers. You essentially spend time just watching them work which gets boring an uninformative except to see their ways of working but you don't need whole DVDs to see that. The guy that produces the Structure Of Man DVDs is not even that great at drawing but he teaches you a huge amount.

lightning

don't even bother with gnomon they suck the dvds are a complete waste of money they dont even teach you my friend coincidentally has these two dvds plus the third one in the series and all it shoes is that guy painting a picture for 1 and a half hours ::)

if you want good training try lynda
https://www.lynda.com/
they are truley awesome dvd's!!!
i have the max essential and the max modeling videos plus heaps more for ps etc and they rock the guys tells you all you need to know about modeling etc and they are very easy to follow and at the end of the dvd you actually learn something!
and all i did was subscribe to lynda for a month for $25 and i got about 20 dvd sets!

also the two guys that do the max 9 training are really passionate and enthusiastic about the software which i like i would rather have that than a boring monotone voice that would send you to sleep before you start learning ;D

efflux

That site looks good. The monthly subscription would definitely be a good deal. I watched a couple of the free samples. For example I watched a ZBrush free sample at 3.13 minutes long and the only video I ever saw that actually explains why everything (like an imported model) in ZBrush is a "tool"! Video quality was also very good and downloaded quick.

The thing is, you want to learn apps and techniques. It's cool to watch these artists on Gnomon because they are some of the best in their field but you only really need to see the results of their work. Learn the techniques from someone who packs this info into the videos. It doesn't matter if what they work on isn't a masterpiece. You can add your own imagination later (you can't teach that part).

rcallicotte

Thanks you two.  This is very helpful.  One of the most difficult things to find in this arena is a way to learn these tools.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?