E-on learns from Planetside - Free Vue 7 Beta (or so we hoped...)

Started by Mohawk20, December 17, 2008, 05:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Cadoret

Hi
Server for registration is still down?
How did you get the activation code and manually enter.
Regards
Brian Cadoret

Mandrake

I don't know what the big deal is here, isn't there a resolution limit, no import, water mark and that sort of nonsense?

latego

Quote from: Mandrake on December 18, 2008, 06:34:20 PM
I don't know what the big deal is here, isn't there a resolution limit, no import, water mark and that sort of nonsense?

The deal it that you can upgrade to the more powerful versions, saving the 49$ which you would have had to pay otherwise to get Poineer. If you feel that this is unimportant, I will mail you my credit card data for you to send me the 49 "irrelevant" dollars ;D

Tangled-Universe

To me there's no real big deal, it's just an opportunity to explore Vue 7's possibilities on free basis.
Yes there's a resolution limit of 1920x1080(!), there's indeed a watermark and you can import Vue objects.
I don't know if Vue supports other formats.

The first thing which came in my mind when opening the program and watching the tutorial was:

"weren't many people accusing Terragen to be just a click and render program?"

I have to say that the terrain-paint features are really nice and fast, though it certainly costs quite some practice to get a decent result. Which I wasn't able too yet ;)
I also played with the clouds and got some nice shapes but haven't been able to render them at a decent quality at all. I must have overlooked the settings somewhere but they look as grainy and undetailed as...well..you figure :)

Quote from: latego on December 19, 2008, 05:03:46 AM

The deal it that you can upgrade to the more powerful versions, saving the 49$ which you would have had to pay otherwise to get Poineer. If you feel that this is unimportant, I will mail you my credit card data for you to send me the 49 "irrelevant" dollars ;D

You certainly have a good point here.

matrix2003

-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

rcallicotte

Thanks everyone for the details.  I'm curious why this thread isn't in the Open Discussion.  Not much about TG2, really.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mandrake

Ditto that, feel free to move it Mr. Moderator..

Mohawk20

Quote from: calico on December 19, 2008, 09:03:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the details.  I'm curious why this thread isn't in the Open Discussion.  Not much about TG2, really.
Yeah, sorry 'bout that... I thought to be discussing the fact that they stole planetsides free beta idea. But this is far more interesting to discuss  ;D.
Howgh!

latego

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 19, 2008, 05:07:37 AM
I also played with the clouds and got some nice shapes but haven't been able to render them at a decent quality at all. I must have overlooked the settings somewhere but they look as grainy and undetailed as...well..you figure :)

Usually you have to increase the atmosphere quality (Atmosphere dialog, Light tab, Quality boost). With the slider you can go from -4.0 to +4.0 and with the edit box on the immediate right you can type even higher values. If you do so, brace yourself with TG2-like render times ;D.

B.t.w., one of the dirty little secrets to get quickly grain-less renders is to use toos like Noise Ninja (technique which is also applicable to TG).

Bye!!!

P.S.: according to what I read, Vue watermark is always located in the lower right corner so, if you frame "appropriately" your render...

rcallicotte

LOL  No sweat.  Just wondering.  I'm not THE HALL MONITOR.   :D

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 19, 2008, 01:45:58 PM
Quote from: calico on December 19, 2008, 09:03:35 AM
Yeah, sorry 'bout that... I thought to be discussing the fact that they stole planetsides free beta idea. But this is far more interesting to discuss  ;D.

old_blaggard

Cool about Pioneer ;).

That image doesn't really grab me... the bark on the trees doesn't look very good, and there's very little contrast in the image itself.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

@PG, I agree.  I removed the link.  I was in a hurry going through the first images coming up that looked similar.

I haven't seen lighting like this one above, which was made in Vue 7, nor an image of this type (of just a tree) quite this realistic in lighting and color in TG2 even once.  If you have, post the link here so we can see it. 

To clarify, I've seen a lot of images that are realistic with rocks in them and rough terrain or maybe even grass in TG2, but as far as a tree - not like this one.