E-on learns from Planetside - Free Vue 7 Beta (or so we hoped...)

Started by Mohawk20, December 17, 2008, 05:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrix2003

- upon first look DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS !   If you have have the beta 7 version KEEP IT. This ver is complete crippleware, watermarks entire image, so therefore it is useless.

One more time I wish I had not been in such a rush to try new stuff, cause it killed off my old stuff.  Goodbye Vue 7.  The beta worked, THIS DOES NOT.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

PG

The whole image?!?! What use is that? even as evaluation its pointless. You can't see your image. Planetside definately had the right idea. Thanks for the warning.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Seth

tried it too and the watermarks kill the all trial...

rcallicotte

A watermark!?  Seriously?  How could they?  What a terrible thing to do.

Sorry guys.  I saw nothing on their website that said this.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Hmm, it seems it's time to change the title... add "Or so we hoped".
Howgh!

Cyber-Angel

As I understand it the demo of Mojo World has water marks on the images it produces so there is a precedent for this kind of software!  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

rcallicotte

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: calico on March 27, 2009, 08:55:18 AM
@Cyber-Angel - Do you mean precedent?

Thanks for pointing that typo out, corrected now!

8)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

rcallicotte

You're welcome.  I wonder if watermarks haven't been the way for many software packages in demo mode.  But, Vue 7...someone there should have said something about that, before we all downloaded it.

Cyber-Angel

It may have some thing to do with the marketing and/ or business model for the given software in question but also one of making money from the sale of that software in the long term to recover the costs of development; it seems that there are four basic models used in the industry today, please baer in mind that is an overview:

Model #1: Time Limited Model (Then becomes Nagware, Crippleware or the like):

In this model the user is given a limited time to use the software normally 30 days but I have seen 90 day trials with/ or with out feature restrictions such as save disabled with the user reminded that they have  X number of days remaining in their trial period. After this time any or all of the following occurrences may happen:

1. The software becomes Nagware and uses a pop up or other such device while the user is working that their trial is over and that they need to go and buy the software.

2. The software become crippleware where either or:

a. The software's features become further limited

b. The software will not execute on opening and the user is face with a splash screen telling them they need to buy the software if they wish to continue the use thereof.

Model 2: Feature Limited with or without use time limitation:

In this model the software is generally open for use (with some industry exceptions) without time limitations of the first model been save disabled is common, other restrictions in other software apply Silo 3D is limited in the amount of geometry (number of faces) that can be saved in its demo version, by way of example. Apart form these small restrictions users may use these demos for as long as they wish thus allowing for longer term evaluation of the software, useful for software that would take time to become fully proficient in.

Model 3: Water Marked Image  (Water Mark Removed in Licensed Version) other restrictions generally do not apply (not in all cases):

In this model there are generally no restrictions on either time or features within the software and save is by and large enabled however the software generally automatically applies a watermark to an image in multiple locations on the image (Some just place a single watermark in the center of the saved image) this watermark is not present in the licensed software.

Model 4: Unrestricted Use (Non-Commercial Use Only):

In rear instances you will get a demo of a software product that dose not have any restrictions except that of been for non commercial use only, this aids long term evaluation of the software that other models do not encourage.

There are many thorny issues with all of the above and have been since the early days of computing I remember that these kinds of issues where around with the release of both the BBC Micro, The ZX Spectrum and the Commodore Vic-20 and maybe before, but that would be before my time in that case.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

Mohawk20

What I don't get about the watermarks: How is this 'Free' version any different from any of their demo's or PLE's? The watermark makes it 'just another demo version' you can upgrade.
It would have been a lot better if they left out the watermark. They have these upgrade packages (and a lot of 'em), and those you pay for, so why do they even need the watermark?
Howgh!

matrix2003

The beta actually worked.  With a little creativity, you could clone out or crop the logo.  Saying that the "final ver" is FREE, makes everyone jump and do what I did, overwrite their working version with a crippled one.  Of course "if you purchase" any expansion pack, add ons etc.. then the watermark disappears. So its actually brilliant.  Advertise that you have changed your business model and coax people to download the full FREE version, which kills off any working version the user has on his system: and then you have pay to play!  The deception is in the file names also.  Both zips are labeled Vue 7 Pioneer.  There is no difference between the beta and final, except for bit size.

*note: I get the last laugh.  Use control panel remove, re-install original zip file from archive an: voila BACK.  I will post on my web site for a week or so if anyone is interested. 392 MB
Let me know if you want it.  I can take the bandwidth for a short period of time, but not forever.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

PG

This is on the e-on website. HA!
"What's the difference with the PLE?
Vue 7 Pioneer is a real product. It's not a trial version and you won't get any watermarks on your renders (although you do get a logo*)."

Quote from: matrix2003 on March 27, 2009, 01:30:20 PM
Of course "if you purchase" any expansion pack, add ons etc.. then the watermark disappears.

This only applies to the render-up addon.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

PorcupineFloyd

matrix2003, try releasing it as a .torrent. It won't eat your bandwidth as much as website (as long as there will be others interested).

Or use torrent in a different way - but this depends on your morality.

rcallicotte

Do you actually get a logo on the whole image?  I haven't tried it.