dandelO's LOTR Candidates...

Started by dandelO, December 17, 2008, 09:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant

nice first image,

but the texture projection needs to be better ;-)

dandelO

Quotethe texture projection needs to be better ;-)

There's no texture projection. It's all procedural, I'm afraid. I rarely use image maps and when I do it's usually just a b+w distribution or function image. Thanks. :)

Revenant

then let me ask you please, why there is a horizontal line, on the left and right in the middle of the picture, looks like texture

dandelO

If you mean the white line across the image, just above the knees of the statues, about 1/4 way from the bottom, this is a cloud layer. It's around 2m above the camera height. You'll notice it carries on right across the cliffsides aswell. Maybe it could do with some thickening, now you point it out. I didn't realise it was confusing on the eyes with the statues behind, mainly because I know it's there and what it is, everyone else doesn't. Sorry, something to revise then. Thanks again, Revenant. :)

dandelO

Here's the screenshot of my atmo tab preview. My mouse cursor is around 6m=Y, you can see the cloud layer, level with the cursor, faintly right across the walls in the preview. I should probably make this thicker...

[attachimg=#]

Cheers.

Revenant

i thought to myself that could be a cloud layer, when i later checked the pic again yesterday, but was not sure, thanks for unveiling the secret :)

Mandrake

dandelO, I made a tiff mounted it to a plane, but it feels like I'm cheating. hehe

dandelO

Quoteit feels like I'm cheating. hehe

You are!
I do it often! :D

Any means necessary, I say.

I'm also trying to re-pose the model to make some of his wraiths for in the background, once you remove the helmet, jobs a goodun'! I just need to add a hood and, it just so happens, I have one that I used in the Argonath image that I started this thread with.
I might include some Ringwraiths, I might not. We'll see...

Mandrake

The road to Bree is being watched.
Everyone seems to be holding there cards close to the vest as far as this lotr's competition goes. ;) Me, I don't really care cause I'm not worried about being, in the running. hehe Anyway, I think these silhouettes of the riders may work, because there far enough away?
I hope to sneak a cottage in, on top of the knoll, to the right, snuggled in those trees. That's if it doesn't crash the file. I made a couple of carts but I only stuck one in here. Tried to put a blue weed type flower scattered about but now that you clued me into the specular compatibilities of the plants to Sun type thing, it's hard to find veggies that fit?
And I've been playing with ropes and chains, but I don't think chains work here, wish I could edit the canoe that, I forget if you or sunshine777 made and delete everything but the very front, to keep the poly count down, and stick it in the lower right. Need a better computer!! Any thoughts are always appreciated!!

rcallicotte

Cool, Mandrake!  I believe the same about my entry, but I'm still making up my mind.  LOL.  I'll post mine next, here or another thread.  I noticed you posted here.  Does DandelO mind if we post in his thread?

Oh, about your work...it looks good.  Make that wagon more believable, for one thing.  The lighting and realism are pretty close right now for the entire image.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

QuoteDoes DandelO mind if we post in his thread.

Not at all. :)

Just change the name in the subject title in your reply and it'll be your thread too! ;)

Mandrake

I just got a parse error. And I have no clue, glad I do incremental backups...
I wish Jo would put an incremental save button in. I know nothing about programing in c++ but this save would probably take no time at all to write in.

rcallicotte

1,2,3...Test

;D

I'm at the very raw stage and plan to -

• improve lighting
  • improve clouds
  • create Osgiliath in ruins and smoke
  • perhaps try a better point of view

Ideas are welcome.  This is very raw and a hundred possible changes lend themselves for my approval or disapproval.  I only have a little over two weeks, including render time.

Thanks DandelO for providing some space for this in your thread.

Mohawk20

I hope to be able to help... but what reference images do you have?

- Get the sun a little bit higher for starters.
- The Anduin should be wider, shouldn't it?
- A variety of foliage with a painted clearing for the city should be general terrain coverage I think.

Contact me if you want some help.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Mohawk,

Thanks.  I'm using some maps I found on the Internet and a map from a book from Return of the King.  I agree about the sun.  I'd like long shadows, but the river runs between two mountains that are somewhat spread apart.  I could make the river wider, but scale demands it be possibly smaller.  You can't see the clearing, due to the mountain's shadow, but I believe I'll remedy that by upping the sun.  Thanks again.  I'll repost what I do here in the next couple of days.  My biggest challenge might be the city itself.