distribution shader

Started by mhaze, December 18, 2008, 09:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Can't find an answer to this problem - see attached screenshot.  can't get distribution either by slope or altitude. Any help,advice,suggestions etc gratefully received.

Mick

rcallicotte

Use the Distribution Shader as a Blended Shader.  In other words attach the Distributed Shader's output to the desired shader's Blended Shader's input.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mhaze

Does not work I'm afraid - any slope or altitude below 0 i get displacement above 0, I don't!

help!!!!!

Tangled-Universe

If I'm correct you want to use the powerfractal as terrain and you want to restrict the voronoi-function by heighth/slope, correct?
I have to ask because if you meant to do so you haven't set it up correctly.

For a distribution-shader to work you'll need a compute normal fed into the main input.
So connect the powerfractal to a compute normal (increase patch-size!) and then connect the compute normal to the input-port of your distributionshader.
Then feed your voronoi-function into the child-layer-port  of your distribution shader.
Then connect the output of the distributionshader to the compute terrain node.
So you won't need the merge shader at all.

See attachment.
Hope this helps.

Martin

mhaze

thanks, very much, I really do not yet understand this! I'll have to spend some time with it. So much in Terragen is counterintuitive :-( or am I just getting old?

Mick

Tangled-Universe

You're welcome...guess it's a bit of both then ;) :P lol...
In the beginning it can seem counterintuitively, but really, it isn't that counterintuitive...
What is it what you find hard to understand?

rcallicotte

TU - Thanks for explaining this so clearly.  You were very helpful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mhaze

Its lack of apparent logic, the order of shaders sometimes, the fact that other programs I've used in the past do things differently - it's just different I'll get used to it. Thank goodness for this helpful forum :) colud do with better docs ;)

Mick