Only Crop Render Works

Started by rcallicotte, December 15, 2008, 07:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I am using the Beta.  I have a scene and I can render cropped renders with high render settings.  When I do the entire scene, the entire render goes BLACK.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Can you post a tgd?
My machine can handle quite much :P

Martin

rcallicotte

I will tonight.

You'll need an object that you can use with the reflective shader.  Any object will do for testing.

rcallicotte

You might need to turn the clouds off, due to my cloud manipulation with the image mapping.

Oshyan

When you say the render goes black, do you mean when you begin rendering, or do you see it rendering for some time and *then* it goes black? As you surely know the render window will go black before the GI pass is made, and depending on the render settings it could take quite a while to be filled in.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Well...Oshyan, it all goes black as in the entire image goes black and then it's finished.  But, what's weird is that with the same settings a cropped render renders fine. 

Oshyan

Very odd. That's not a behavior I've seen before. No error messages are generated? We may just have to see the TGD to investigate further.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

See above.  I posted it.

Quote from: Oshyan on December 15, 2008, 08:54:13 PM
We may just have to see the TGD to investigate further.

- Oshyan

Kevin F

Calico, I've rendered your scene but with much lower quality settings. Yours are so high that it's taking such a long time just to display the first GI dots. You've got nearly every quality setting option ticked and most at very high settings. There's no need for some of them - I thought microvertex jittering for example is to help remove the fractal lines sometimes found on water? you've also got detail jittering ticked and anti aliasing bloom again neither are needed in this scene as far as I can tell.
Here's the pic with settings as follows:
detail -0.2, AA 2, GI 1&1.
extras all off except Do ray traced shadows.
and it took 15 mins at 1200x600. with none of your image maps and no objects.
Hope this helps.

rcallicotte

Kevin, thank you very much.  I did wonder about my high settings.  But, to go completely black at the final rendering still seems...broken.  Right?

[edit - I need to add that the only change I made to make this render was to go to .2 detail, which seems sort of odd]

matrix2003

I am also using the Beta, and have tweaked a scene now for days.  Each time the atmo was black and once the whole image went black as well.  After reading this thread I turned down all the "extras" and it appears the clouds have returned.  * and I mean days, including reboots and second and third try's each time -to no avail.  I have to add that I also had like every option chosen.  This is on a "for" terragen machine IE:  Intel Quad Core Q9450@2.66GHz 4GB MEM.  Just figured I would mention this as I was going for cranked up details and chose every option possible, as it appears Calico did.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Oshyan

You should always be careful arbitrarily increasing settings without good cause. You won't necessarily see a corresponding increase in quality, and you'll likely waste a lot of render time.

Calico, the render doesn't finish prematurely on my system, it just takes a long time to render. That seems clearly due to fairly high settings, particularly the combination of 4/4 GI and 0.85 detail. You don't even need to reduce all settings, just GI, and you'll see it starting to render at a more normal speed.

- Oshyan

matrix2003

Thank you Osh - will ease her back a bit! :P
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

rcallicotte

Thanks for checking, Oshyan. 

I was sure it finished on mine (when it went all black), but I must have been mistaken.