Noctilucent clouds

Started by FrankThomas, January 15, 2007, 06:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankThomas

What the hell are they I hear you ask ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_clouds

Is what they are.  I'm wondering if something similar could be done in T2TP, maybe with some high altitude clouds and setting the luminosity.  I'm going to give it a try and see what I come up with but feel free to have a play :)

Will

I would try with large, flat, high altudute clouds  :)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

3DGuy

Seems possible. Quick try:
Default cirrus layer, adjusted the altitude to 100000 meters. Put the sun directly ahead with an elevation of -10 (i.e. well below the horizon). This must mean this cloudlayer is lit from below.

FrankThomas

Well, this is what I've come up with so far.  Clouds at about 38,000m with a bit of a blue tint to them

Will

Nice, Well its time I retire Mid-terms tomorrow and 100 posts in three days...whew I need a brake. Good Night to all of you  ;D

Best Regards,

Will

gradient

Here is my quick attempt at this cloud formation....Remember noctilucent clouds are only seen once the sun is below the horizon....so, the terrain would not have much light on it.  Here the sun is at -7 degrees....

gradient

Here's my second crack at these....some tweaks to the lighting.....

FrankThomas

I was actually surprised the mountain was as illuminated as it was - I had the sun alt set to about -3 deg but the mountain is quite high.  I'll see if I can have another go tonight when I get in from work. 

Nice going so far :)

FrankB

You may also put a cloud layer ABOVE the atmosphere. This way, the cloud is not as much affected by the atmospheric density, darkening etc....

Frank

Will

Its looking good so far gradient :)

Regards,

Will

Oshyan

Try increasing Ambient Light under the Tweaks tab in the cloud node. Not a realistic simulation perhaps, but easier to achieve the effect. :)

- Oshyan