So Talented...

Started by rcallicotte, October 17, 2008, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Wow, some very nice (and some not so nice) images there.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I agree, o_b.  I guess I am so amazed at the good ones and the talent these people I have it might be easy to overlook the less inspiring.  I like it that people try, but the artists who can just recreate life with a special creative magic is just amazing.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

The work from user SADCLOWN is very good. Showing what Artrage is really capable of.

efflux

I gave up on Artrage and all painting apps simply because they're no good unless you have one of these:

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/12WX.cfm

Standard tablets are no good for drawing. Not so bad for painting stokes or anything that doesn't need accuracy of line but you simply can't get the hand eye coordination. I can draw and even after years of messing with a tablet it is way faster and better for me to use a pencil and paper. If anyone tells you that you can learn the hand eye coordination - it's rubbish and logical that you can't do it because we always have to watch our hands when moving with the precision we need to draw.

Unfortunately those Cintiqs are very expensive but I plan on buying one.

efflux

Forget a Cintiq if you want on screen drawing:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUUDYiKEKA

I've ordered an old HP tc1100. I can do more detailed painting of colours etc on my desktop machine after I draw on the Slate machine. You just need a system that can draw on the screen for main line work. The Cintiqs are a ludicrous cost.

efflux

Cintiq $1000 (cheapest model). Forget it. Wacom are having a laugh.

This is my new computer:

Ubuntu installed of course. Wacom digitizer screen. Fantastic little computer. £270 on ebay. Not much good for TG2 rendering but way cool for some other stuff.

efflux

That docking station in the photo was no good. Finally the seller has supplied another better one. The docking station is essential for it's incredible stability. If you get a tablet PC for drawing, you need a docking station.

This is a fantastic little computer. I can't rate it enough.

Gimp is also great for painting. You can create really cool image pipe brushes and have brushes pressure sensitivity matched to colour gradients. Gimp is small and quite efficient so good for tablet PCs and has all the standard photoshop style stuff.

This is an incredibly cheap and brilliant set up.

C.A.C.

Well, i bought a $100 Wacom Bamboo and use Art Rage. I love it, for me it's easy but that's just me. I do understand not everyone will have the same work patterns.

efflux

I've got a Wacom Graphire. Even that is slightly better than a tablet PC in terms of sensitivity but you have a hand eye loss of coordination. The disadvantages with working on a tablet PC are vastly outweighed by the fact that you can draw on the screen. I will probably transfer stuff to my desktop machine for further work but the initial line work is so easy on the tablet or rather slate because the tc1100 has a removable keyboard so it's really a slate PC and it's just the right size to carry anywhere.

Volker Harun

The best application for a touch screen is solitaire ,-)

Seth