terragen 2 lighting export

Started by Thejazzshadow, January 15, 2009, 08:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thejazzshadow

Is there a way to export the lighting from terragen 2 to lightwave?

Oshyan

There is no direct way to transfer at this point. There are plugins for other apps like 3DS Max, but not yet for LW. In the future we plan to support FBX or another cross-application format which should solve this problem.

- Oshyan

Matt

You might be able to render a 360 scene to EXRs, convert to HDRs if necessary, and use those for IBL (Image Based Lighting) in Lightwave.

There are some steps involved in this, and I don't think there's an automated way of doing this yet. We're going to make this sort of thing much easier in future.

Similar techniques have been used very successfully in TV commercials using Terragen 2 environments to fully light CG environments and objects in VRay.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

Quote from: Matt on January 16, 2009, 04:25:45 AM

Similar techniques have been used very successfully in TV commercials using Terragen 2 environments to fully light CG environments and objects in VRay.

Matt

Ooh really, could you let us know which adds, it would be great to see it in action.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

neon22

You can use the program here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5251.msg54258#msg54258
to make the 6 OpenEXR format images you need for HDRI env map. (just choose tile/panorama and set exr as the output format)

However you will need to stitch them manually in some program that reads exr files.
My program uses Imagemagick to stitch images and Hugin to reproject. Unfortunately there is no ready-made Imagemagick binary that has exr support. (Even though Imagemagick does support it and so it would all work wonderfully if one existed).
Alas I do not have the skills to make an Imagemagick binary with openEXR support.