"sun set clouds" sunset ?

Started by myriac, January 19, 2007, 01:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myriac

what did i do ?  why are those clouds behind the sun  ??? when render completed i was surprised by this situation.

can anyone help ?

Will

No thoughs clouds are infront of the sun and it is shining though them. you could try increasing the density.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

myriac

thx will , i'll try  :)

Oshyan

This is something I've seen a few times in other people's renders but haven't really duplicated myself. If you can share the .tgd file it would help a lot in determining if this is actually a bug, or just "incorrect" settings.

- Oshyan

Will

Oshyan he has already ;)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

myriac

actually oshyan, i increased both depth & density of clouds. no much use  !
on the other hand these clouds enough for the scene and i need to use them as they are not to disturb my scene.
if u examine tgd file u will see no unusual parameters or you tell me .
so in my opinion clouds enough to cover sun.
maybe it could be a bug.

Dark Fire

There is a small bug where the sun shines through things that it shouldn't. There is a link to an animation somewhere on these forums in which the sun shines through mountains.

Oshyan

The "sun shining through things" bug applies only to the terrain. The fix there is to enable Raytraced Shadows in the Atmosphere Quality tab. In this case it has no effect.

In this case I believe the problem is caused by a known issue with the rendering of the "visible disc" in the sun settings. Currently this feature is implemented in a fairly simplistic way which doesn't always render visibly correct. This will certainly be improved in the future.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

I encountered an error a while ago that may be related: the visible disc of the sun appeared to turn a circle of my terrain and objects, directly underneath, purple.

icarus51

Hello,
A question: the sun at sunset/sunrise should be deformedby atmosphere when it grazes the horizon, isn't true?
Is it possibile to render this effect?
Thanks.

Claudio

§ardine

Quote from: icarus51 on January 24, 2007, 11:56:59 AM
A question: the sun at sunset/sunrise should be deformedby atmosphere when it grazes the horizon, isn't true?

Are you referring to the effect caused by heat being dissipated from the surface into the atmosphere causing the lower edge of the sun to flare slightly outward as it dips below the surface?

Quote from: icarus51 on January 24, 2007, 11:56:59 AM
Is it possibile to render this effect?

I don't think so. But an idea I had, that might be worth trying, is to add a second atmosphere to your planet with a very low ceiling. I'm not sure if this is possible though as I'm rendering at the moment. but it might be worth a try.   :-\

Oshyan

Distortion at the horizon is not currently supported but may be added in the future.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

I can think of a whole host of atmospheric phenomena that should be supported by Terragen that are not right now all of which can be found on this site:

http://www.weather-photography.com/gallery.php?cat=optics

Since Terragen has ray tracing it should be fairly easy to implement many of these phenomena I would think.

I think the phenomena under discussion here is distortion: as seen here:

http://www.weather-photography.com/album.php?cat=optics&subcat=distortion

This would be vary nice if in the future Terragen could have this.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

old_blaggard

@myriac: Try disabling the visible disk in the sunlight node and instead pumping up its glow strength in the atmosphere.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.