Mellow Morning - Finished :)

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 20, 2009, 06:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Where's that update you promised? ;-)

I'm curious about what the next version will be like :-)

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Haha, you impatient man you are! ;)
I'm working on it and as usual I'm paying too much attention to details :p
I've decreased the disc size of the sun, but didn't move it to the right, still not sure of it.
I also added 2 more groundcover-populations and another tree-population.
Further I adjusted the fog, made it slightly less dense and more warpy and the atmosphere is a little bit more bluish near the top of the image.

I'm also busy with a fence, found a suitable model but it is already posted in .tgo-format and I want to adjust it in a 3rd party program.
I guess that's just end of story huh?

rcallicotte

No...TU, the end of story will be the next version.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

MacGyver

Quote from: calico on January 22, 2009, 08:41:34 AM
No...TU, the end of story will be the next version.   ;D
You made my day, cheers ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Haha, ok guys :) thanks for the support ;)

But serious, I REALLY need your support now:

I've been trying to render my updated scene 3 times now and my computer completely freezes during rendering. No button responds, the mouse doesn't respond. Simply NOTHING responds. These crashes occure more often and strangely enough it is in periods. So a couple of days with many freezes/crashes and then a couple of weeks without.
When it freezes when playing an mp3 or video for example the sound hangs.

Does anybody have an idea what might be the cause? Last time (about 3 weeks ago) I thought it were conflicting drivers from an old soundcard I used and also videocard-drivers. I then deleted all the drivers and codecs and reinstalled only the necessary ones. After that I had no computerfreezes anymore so I thought that was the definitive solution.
Apparently it is not :(
So anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

rcallicotte

Check the Open Discussion forum, but I thought of something else I've seen do this - a hard-drive going out.  If it isn't a software / driver / OS issue, it's hardware.  Well, duh.  What I mean is that if you are sure you did nothing to change something on your computer (when this started) that required new software (even a new driver) or you've done no installations of something like a new AV or something like that, then I'd say look at your hardware.  It could be something is just slowly choking.  I believe I even had a power supply act like that once - things were getting too hot.

That might be it!  Is your CPU getting too hot?

moodflow

My PC died a few days ago - windows would no longer boot.  It was the 4th time I've had to reinstall windows in a year.  I later deduced it was likely the hard drive all along - its a Western Digital 150GB (unsure of the exact model at this time).  I am fed up with this POS!

Anyway, my point is - I bought a new PC!  Its a core i7 (2.65Ghz), with 3GB RAM, Windows Vista 64 Bit, nearly loaded!  Amazingly, it was only $1250 US at Best Buy.  So others may want to look into doing this as well.  Compared to my Quad Core 2.4 GHz, it renders images 30% faster, if not 50% faster (at least from the benchmark test).  Its also super silent and super stable.  Despite it having Vista, its definitely worth it.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Good to hear about the new PC.  Wunderbar for renders and such.   :D

FrankB

Quote from: calico on January 23, 2009, 11:49:27 AM
Good to hear about the new PC.  Vunderbar for renders and such.   :D

"Wunderbar" would be the correct spelling for this German word. I should be able to tell :D
I'm always wondering how this particular word became such an "Exportschlager" (popular export) in the US and maybe also other English speaking countries..
Kindergarten, Rucksack, Angst, ... what else? :-D

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 22, 2009, 06:17:44 PM
Does anybody have an idea what might be the cause? Last time (about 3 weeks ago) I thought it were conflicting drivers from an old soundcard I used and also videocard-drivers. I then deleted all the drivers and codecs and reinstalled only the necessary ones. After that I had no computerfreezes anymore so I thought that was the definitive solution.
Apparently it is not :(

Martin, sorry to hear that. Troubleshooting unpredictable behaviour is difficult. However, if it runs fine for weeks, and then out of a sudden produces many crashes in a row, I would really suspect a connection to room temperature, which affects the cooling. Probably usually, the environmental temp is slightly below a problematic point, whereas when it's cold outside, you up the heater a little too much. That of course can only be a problem if some PC cooling element is not working as expected.
Recently, I was wondering about crashes on my old PC, too. I found that dust had completely blocked the airflow from the CPU cooler, and that the CPU fan could no longer turn faster than ~1000rpm - due to dust and probably weary material too. A good cleansing and a new CPU fan solved the problem. I'm not saying this is your problem too, but you may want to check it out. Is your system overclocked somehow?

Cheers,
Frank

efflux

Agree about the lighting on the trees. That works very well. Good sky colours. Maybe the sun is a little overpowering within the whole image.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

I've checked dust (do that from time to time as well) and temperatures and they're really fine.
I haven't had any crashes today (knocks on wood), but also didn't do any TG.
So I'll start a render now for the night and see if it will crash again.

Martin

Tangled-Universe

Strangely enough, problems seem te be over...(for the time being :-\)
So I managed to render an update yesterday.

Rendersize is quite large so I had to post it at deviantart so I can link it here.
Size is 2585x1100 and rendered at detail 1, AA 10, GI 1/1 with SS-prepass and took 10,5 hours.

The ground could be somewhat brighter but I quite like this one so far.

Here's the link:

http://fc97.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/025/b/8/b8a16c823b7b1fcbd38680af9c6d5fa4.jpg

Mohawk20

The translucency in the leaves is very realistic, but the area around sun looks a bit oversaturated.
Howgh!

MacGyver

Quote from: Mohawk20 on January 25, 2009, 08:12:41 AM
The translucency in the leaves is very realistic, but the area around sun looks a bit oversaturated.
Agreed, everything's fine. Sun looks like an atomic explosion to me though. Makes it a bit less mellow ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine