The Tree

Started by RArcher, January 22, 2009, 12:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Thanks RArcher, I will investigate these programs. Your picture is very inspiring. Natural trees looking like the one in your scene can be found in a vast area of Southeastern Utah. It is sometimes referred to as a 'pygmy forest' consisting of junipers and pinon pine. Back in the late seventies, I had spent several years collecting these trees for 'bonsai' with the permission of the Bureau of Land Management. The unique shapes of trunks and branches lend these trees as prime candidates for bonsai culture.

efflux

Cool tree. Nice lighting.

RArcher

That is very interesting about the bonsai trees Choronr.  Made me think that it might be interesting to turn that tree into a Bonsai in a pot.  Here is a little teaser but it still needs a fair amount of work.

choronr

RArcher, that kkTree in a pot looks very good. Earlier today I opened it and did several rotations and elevated it to expose the roots; there are a lot of possibilities with this plant. I can see the possibilities with a leafless version; and this, placed in a dry desert landscape. Picture it in a low sun setting with some dust blowing about ...many possibilities.

I've spent about 10 years with the bonsai culture and was taught by John Naka who is now deceased. bonsai (the Japanese do not capitalize 'bonsai') make great models for trees in TG2. I'd like to see more tree models like the 'kkTree'. If I can find the photograph, I'll post the 'forest grove' of conifers I did back in the early eighties. This bonsai was so heavy (with pot and all), it took three of us to carry it.

Bob 

dandelO

The Ivy Generator(http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator) makes nice bonzai trees if you don't grow the ivy onto another model. Setting the gravity/growth speeds etc. correctly can make some nice trees. I rendered a couple in Carrara that I made when I first got the IG, here's one of them(low quality and a pretty poor tree, too but)... http://rockyknuckles.googlepages.com/Bonzai.jpg/Bonzai-full.jpg

Ivy gen is free, too. Get it, it's great!

choronr

Thanks Martin, I have had the Ivy Generator but have not used it as yet. I see that in can be used (.obj) with Terragen. Now, you've got me thinking.

Bob

Mr_Lamppost

I commented on this image over on Terragen.org and mentioned missed bits in the DOF.  It is a lot easier to point them out here than in image comments.

Your mask as posted looks as I would have expected but does not account for the anomalies circled.

I only got the ivy generator last week.  Using it without an object is an interesting idea that will need investigating.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

choronr

I'm not sure how to use the ivy generator; either by itself; or, in connection with another object ...any clues would be appreciated. I noted the file contained an ,exe file.

Mr_Lamppost

There's a video tutorial that you can download from the Ivy generator site that should get you started.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

dandelO

Bob, the .exe is the Ivy Gen'.
It needs no installing, just runs straight from the folder. Run the .exe, either import an object to grow on, or grow it on it's own.
A double click anywhere on the 3d screen creates the growth starting point, sliders at the right control growth parameters. Once your basic outline(blue lines) have been drawn, click 'birth'. This will show you the ivy object with textures/leaves as a 3d preview. You can control the size/probability of the leaves, thickness of trunk/branches in the 'birth' dialogues, too.
Hit 'export .obj and material' when you're satisfied.

*Note, you'll need to convert the texture maps to .jpg before using them in TG, the defaults are .png. You'll get some anomolies(white edges) if you use them straight out of the box.

choronr

Thank you so much Mr_Lampost and dandelO; my mindset is now on the next project. A desert/tropical scene with KKtree, ivy, FrankB clouds; and, some dandelO/T-U rock arrays ...we'll see.

I really appreciate your reply; days of more fun is coming.

Bob

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on January 25, 2009, 12:35:30 PM
Thank you so much Mr_Lampost and dandelO; my mindset is now on the next project. A desert/tropical scene with KKtree, ivy, FrankB clouds; and, some dandelO/T-U rock arrays ...we'll see.

I really appreciate your reply; days of more fun is coming.

Bob

That's going to be a pretty cool project - looking forward to the results :-)

matrix2003

My favorite new tweak is the "replace background shader with default shader"
Nice DOF on this.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*