Tropical island animation (excerpt from animation)

Started by narvik, November 25, 2008, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Very impressive.  You have obviously put a tremendous amount of effort into this.  It is probably far to late to change now but just looking at a few photo's of the island it looks like you could use a lot more trees on the island and the cliff faces could use some additional displacement and colouring.  I'm not sure if it is intentional or not but when the camera is chasing the boat there are a few rough spots where the camera jerks around a little bit.

narvik

Thanks RArcher,
for the input.

Yeah, the "jerkiness" is actually a result of an error in the script and semi-cleverly being disguised as camera motion shake with an additional 'shaky' filter.

Alf15000

Very nice ! I can see that water is a little "static", but you made a great work  ;)

Oshyan

The main thing I noticed is an apparent lack of motion blur. I think adding that in would bump up realism quite a bit. Unfortunately it's too late to re-render now of course. There are also some evident rendering errors (terrain and shadow popping, cut-off displacement) that would hopefully turn out better in the final release, with some of the additional settings and fixes that have been added.

- Oshyan

mt_sabao

yes impressive, but i was also going to point out the lack of motion blur. specially the initial frames. too bad the shadow popping. great work other wise, really like the camera motion!

MacGyver

Very good animation! Which version of TG2 did you use? How long was rendering time? (last time it was already 4500h?)
It's a pity that there are rendering errors in it... anyway, it turned out really nice! :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Mohawk20

Looks great...
I would recommend to desaturate a little in post, so it looks a bit older (which would fit the vertical lines of the 'film effect' better).
Howgh!

narvik

Thanks for all replies.

Motion blur:
oops, I did forget to add that. Was always meant to be added in post, but I forgot.

Rendering errors:
Yes, there's a few. We struggled with them throughout. Oshyan you mention that these might be fixed in a final version?
So the new software addresses those issues? That would be cool!

I'm still considering adding a bird flying around (mainly to hide some errors).
But I may just leave it as is, with the exception of adding motion blur.

Render time was long: there's something like 1560 frames, rendered at 1024x576 resolution, and each taking between two and three hours.

Oshyan

Some of the issues may be fixed, yes. Each instance would have to be tested to be sure.

- Oshyan

efflux

Impressive. Motion blur would definitely have been beneficial especially at the start. Toning down the colours might be a good idea to fit with the old look. Yes, the island could be a bit more realistic - cliff faces etc but the whole thing is a lot of work and results are good.