making lahars?

Started by guruganesh, February 09, 2009, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guruganesh

i'd like to make a visualisation of a volcano (cotopaxi) from a DEM. this volcano has canyonlike clefts. in these clefts, big lahars (mud avalanches) flew down to the surrounding highland. how to fill these clefts only? 'limit max/min altitude' is not working, because a lahar is making it's way down all the mountain. 'limit max/min slope angle' fills the bottom of the cleft - but higher areas outside the clef with the same slope as well. a rendered preview with testcolour might help:

cyphyr

Try using the "Intersect Underlying" feature (far right bottom tab in the Surface Layer node). It may do your trick. Let us know your results as were still trying to figure out its propper uses :)
rixhard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mohawk20

If that doesn't work (though I think it will), you might want to try the painted shader to apply the displacement very precise.
Howgh!

guruganesh

thanks for advice! i used 'intersect underlying' in the test colour picture before. a combination of 'coverage/fractal breakup/favour depressions/intersection zone/smoothing effect' will create lahar-like results. see green+grey layers at the foot of the mountain. but it's not really precise - so i'm very interested in using the 'painted shader'.(for the snow,too!) how to use this tool...? i'm new with terragen2...

guruganesh