The big one - *V5* Wide Screen Render

Started by FrankB, February 09, 2009, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: RArcher on February 10, 2009, 09:37:15 AM
Ahh, you just want a bigger view.  I would still like it raised up a 1000m or so. ;D

I gave you 300 more :-P

FrankB

Thanks guys, to be honest I'm pretty happy with the latest render as well ;D

To make it a little more like the reference photo from the other thread, I had desaturated the blue some and also applied a very shy blur to the image. Seems that this worked well.

I thought I would just try both suggestions (lift up the cloud a bit and also pull the camera back a little).
I'll post this once finished.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

One more thing, for anyone wanting to try this as well:

The light direction plays a key role in deciding whether this looks great or mediocre.
On the same shot, before this last render, I had the sunlight coming more from behind the camera. The cloud did look quite nice, but not really great. It seemed to be a rather flat wall. Changing the light direction so that shadows could underline the depth of the formation much clearer really did the trick.

Regards;
Frank

moodflow

Fantastic work Frank!

Honestly, we need a bit more sizes for the "bulbs" so there is more variation in shape.  Right now we only have feature scale (the main scale), lead-in scale (the largest scale), and smallest scale.   

I've tried many times to combine multiple fractals with different scales to generate this effect, but still haven't found the magic formula.  I feel its just a matter of combining them correctly at this point.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankB

Version 4, ready for your critical yet gentle looks ;-)

Tangled-Universe

hmmm...if you ask me the distance is (nearly) the same as the previous one.
Nonetheless I think it looks really good. I just think the billowy shapes will look sharper and less noisy from slightly greater distance, and thus even more realistic.
Some of the cloudshapes have really cool overhangs, these contribute to the sense of immense-ness of these clouds :)

MacGyver

Getting better and better! :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

rcallicotte

Wow.  This is...BIG.   :D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

should be big.... took me ~2.5 hours to render this beast.  ;D

Cheers,
Frank

moodflow

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Mohawk20

Very convincing!

I can see all kinds of shapes and cartoon faces in the latest version, which means it's very realistic  8)
Howgh!

darthvader

ONLY 2.5 hours?!?! dang, you must have a supercomputer  ;)
Those clouds look very nice!

Volker Harun

It is getting better and better ... !

Saurav

It's definitely getting close to the real thing in terms of lighting and cloud shapes but I think the blur is a bit too much in the last version.