The big one - *V5* Wide Screen Render

Started by FrankB, February 09, 2009, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

One thing to remember about real clouds vs CGI is Dynamic Range, current display technology and that goes for LCD and Plasma not just CRT dose not have the dynamic range to reproduce the kind of bright lighting needed for realistic cloud lighting: this may happen with some future display technology what that is called and when it will be available I have no idea but for now it is not possible.

For example the sun in Terragen if it where the real thing would produce vary intense glare that would be next to impossible to look at if the camera in TG2 where facing it as the intensity of the light would be overwhelming; if you look at clouds near the sun you will see that the side closest to the sun is brighter that then opposite side (Light falls off proportionately to distance) also under these conditions the side closest to the sun will have the so called "Silver Lining" effect where the sun illuminates the clouds edge.

Cloud edges form my own binocular and telescope observations are not as sharply defined as one may think, indeed I find the cloud edges in TG2 to be too sharp for most instances.

Over all then good work here, just drooping in my two cents worth on matters that have not yet come up in this discussion.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

old_blaggard

These shapes are the best I've ever seen, matching Luc's setup from his latest image. The lighting still seems like it could go a little farther, but overall this is fantastic :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sjefen

Quote from: moodflow on February 10, 2009, 11:25:31 AM
Honestly, we need a bit more sizes for the "bulbs" so there is more variation in shape.

There should be options in the cloud shader to control these things. It would have been a lot easyer.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on February 10, 2009, 09:15:16 PM
One thing to remember about real clouds vs CGI is Dynamic Range, current display technology and that goes for LCD and Plasma not just CRT dose not have the dynamic range to reproduce the kind of bright lighting needed for realistic cloud lighting: this may happen with some future display technology what that is called and when it will be available I have no idea but for now it is not possible.

For example the sun in Terragen if it where the real thing would produce vary intense glare that would be next to impossible to look at if the camera in TG2 where facing it as the intensity of the light would be overwhelming; if you look at clouds near the sun you will see that the side closest to the sun is brighter that then opposite side (Light falls off proportionately to distance) also under these conditions the side closest to the sun will have the so called "Silver Lining" effect where the sun illuminates the clouds edge.

Cloud edges form my own binocular and telescope observations are not as sharply defined as one may think, indeed I find the cloud edges in TG2 to be too sharp for most instances.

Over all then good work here, just drooping in my two cents worth on matters that have not yet come up in this discussion.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

While all of this is certainly true, nonetheless digital photos shown on LCDs, plasmas, and the rest all look perfectly realistic, despite the lack of true dynamic range in the output. In fact we have never had a medium that can output anywhere near the dynamic range of the real world, and that includes printed photos. So while the dynamic range of our displays definitely need improvement, it is really a separate consideration for realism that affects everything and is not unique to TG2 or CGI in general.

P.S. Great work Frank! What are your cloud sample? If it's "only" taking 2.5 hours at this point, I say maybe up the samples a bit, I still see some grain that in these kind of cumulus is distracting IMO.

- Oshyan

FrankB

Quote from: Oshyan on February 13, 2009, 12:39:38 AM
P.S. Great work Frank! What are your cloud sample? If it's "only" taking 2.5 hours at this point, I say maybe up the samples a bit, I still see some grain that in these kind of cumulus is distracting IMO.
- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan.
hmm... where are you seeing grain? I can't see no grain. Really. :-)

Cheers,
Frank

Oshyan

Hard to say, but try something crazy and crank the samples to 1024 or something and do a small crop of a representative area, including an edge and interior bit perhaps. I'm curious, honestly, whether it's a sample issue or something else I'm seeing.

- Oshyan

FrankB

I'll try that perhaps later in the day. My suspicion though is, that you're seeing some small scale rough detail there, slightly influenced by the image compression.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

So how's this one, then?  ;D
Personally, I like that one the most.

(note: not only with definitely no grain, but also with a couple of improvements on the shapes)

@Oshyan: yes it became a tad clearer with the sample quality at 1.2 (=1000 samples)

Cheers,
Frank

[attachimg=#]

MacGyver

They look really great now (pun intended)! :)
Would say they are on par with Luc's from his image, very good!
I also noticed that samples above 1.0 could help sometimes.

Will you add a great landscape underneath the clouds? :P
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Quote from: MacGyver on February 13, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
They look really great now (pun intended)! :)
Would say they are on par with Luc's from his image, very good!
I also noticed that samples above 1.0 could help sometimes.

QuoteWill you add a great landscape underneath the clouds? :P

No, I'll leave that to you ;-)

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

YES! Brilliant!
So who of the two of us was right, you or me? Did it take something out of the box to get it just right like this or not?
Guess you're right...hate to admit that :P lol

Martin

FrankB

;D

I'm afraid I have to tell you that I was right... aaahhhh sweet victory  :P

Thanks,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on February 13, 2009, 07:58:33 AM
;D

I'm afraid I have to tell you that I was right... aaahhhh sweet victory  :P

Thanks,
Frank

lol ;D

rcallicotte

Wow.  Frank!  Is this the one you just updated us to?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: calico on February 13, 2009, 08:38:31 AM
Wow.  Frank!  Is this the one you just updated us to?

no, that's one step ahead again. I just had an idea this morning, applied it, and it worked out quite ok.
I will send *this* update over the weekend.

Cheers,
Frank