New Scene While Rendering = Reproducible Crash

Started by leafspring, February 07, 2009, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leafspring

Hi,

this isn't actually a support question but in the absence of a bug section...
When I render a scene  (Renderers -> Render Image), and open another scene or just click on File -> New while in the rendering progress, the program crashes.
Happend on a Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram and Windows 7 64 Bit, but I guess it is just a bug and not hardware or OS dependent.

If it has been mentioned already, ignore this topic. :)
(did a search but found nothing).

Hope I could help a little.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

PG

Well if you try to create a new project while terragen is in the process of rendering the scene then yeah I guess it would crash. I'd probably crash if you asked me to do that ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Seth

it's like trying to get out of the car while driving on the highway...

leafspring

Quote from: Seth on February 08, 2009, 03:28:54 AM
It might be, but who does this by accident? :P
In TG2 it is just one careless click and a 20h-render could be ruined. It should at least give a warning.

And by the way, a programmers aim should be that the application never crashes. Whatever the (l)user does.  :P

edit: I just noticed that when directly clicking on the new project button (instead of using the File menu), the current render is just discarded and no crash happens.

cyphyr

If you've got the power you could just open another instance of TG.
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PG

Quote from: Rimmon on February 08, 2009, 12:28:11 PM
Quote from: Seth on February 08, 2009, 03:28:54 AM
It might be, but who does this by accident? :P
In TG2 it is just one careless click and a 20h-render could be ruined. It should at least give a warning.

And by the way, a programmers aim should be that the application never crashes. Whatever the (l)user does.  :P

edit: I just noticed that when directly clicking on the new project button (instead of using the File menu), the current render is just discarded and no crash happens.

Well if you went into file->new project it wouldn't be accidental  ;D Well Oshyan should see this when he's next on and let Matt know to add this. It's a pretty easy fix. As far as an application that never crashes, doesn't exist. They always happen, whether it's memory leaks, or value discrepancies, you can't avoid them, all you can do is limit the impact, for example with dialog boxes that interrupts a window message, that the application is sending or recieving to/from windows, to try and save your work but detecting the messages in the correct context is a huge job. I was hoping that Microsoft would index them for .Net 3 but no such luck.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

leafspring

Quote from: PG on February 08, 2009, 01:27:00 PM
Well if you went into file->new project it wouldn't be accidental  ;D
Well, you could have forgotten that you have a 20h rend...or maybe not.  ;D

Quote from: PG on February 08, 2009, 01:27:00 PM
As far as an application that never crashes, doesn't exist. They always happen, whether it's memory leaks, or value discrepancies, you can't avoid them, all you can do is limit the impact, for example with dialog boxes that interrupts a window message, that the application is sending or recieving to/from windows, to try and save your work but detecting the messages in the correct context is a huge job. I was hoping that Microsoft would index them for .Net 3 but no such luck.
Sure, there isn't any rather complex application out there that never crashes and even with increasing computer power it will never (or at least not in the near future) be possible to verify applications to an extend that they can be declared as running stable in every case. What I meant, and I guess you know that, is, that "this crash is comprehensible" isn't an excuse to not fix it.

jo

Hi Rimmon,

I'll look into this. I think it was just lucky that the New Project button didn't cause a crash, it does the same thing as File->New under the hood.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi,

Just thought I'd say I've fixed this for the next release ( preemptive disclaimer: no idea when that will be :-).

Regards,

Jo