What's up?

Started by buzzzzz1, February 12, 2009, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Quote from: Seth on February 13, 2009, 10:18:32 AM
it looks nice and it says that TG2 will be out this year ;)
No, it actually says TG2 will be out the same year this page will be published on the Planetside homepage... There's a big difference!
Howgh!

old_blaggard

Yeah, I'll bet you like the banner, T-U. I'll bet that Oshyan won't be particularly happy that his revision was discovered before it was ready ;). However, I'm a little bit  surprised that it was indexed on a search engine already. That's not the way these things usually work, unless there was another link to it somewhere.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

It was a joke O_b :)
But I'm as surprised as you I have to say.
Am curious when this version of the site goes 'on air'.

buzzzzz1

Looks like it's already on air.  :D  If you go to the forum, some people have already registered.  Oops!
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

mt_sabao

hmm, i'm sorry if i spoiled the surprise  :-\ but was too excited when i found this. hope it's ok!...
Anyway, i guess they'll be releasing this when the final version is release the coming months, at least it should be the logic way to do it. Again, the new look is realy really cool and professional.

Dark Fire

lol. I think Planetside like keeping good control over the revelation new things like this, so this is all quite surprising. Anyway, I already want to buy some merchandise with that new logo.  :P
(I'm always on about Planetside merchandise for some reason. lol.)

PG

Yeah the new one looks slick. It'd be good to have it on a mug or a pen drive. Ooh a pen drive for my TG2 stuff!! ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

QuoteLike the banner as well

:D Nice one, TU!

old_blaggard

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 13, 2009, 01:17:14 PM
It was a joke O_b :)
As was my post, Martin ;). Sorry if I didn't make that clear. No bitterness, no worries.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

If just one person opens the page online even once, then Google's engine will likely snag it.

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 13, 2009, 12:42:43 PM
Yeah, I'll bet you like the banner, T-U. I'll bet that Oshyan won't be particularly happy that his revision was discovered before it was ready ;). However, I'm a little bit  surprised that it was indexed on a search engine already. That's not the way these things usually work, unless there was another link to it somewhere.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

No, Google has to find out for themselves, either by making their bot follow links to it or by having it submitted through their system manually. If this was a test site, there should have been no external links on the internet for Google to see, and I doubt any of the Planetside staff submitted it.

leafspring

I was wondering about the fact that google has already indexed the new site as well. Apparently the new site (which is looking fantastic, by the way) seems to be based on Joomla. I don't really know this CMS but perhaps it is registering the particular site's URL somewhere during the installation so it can be initially found by the google crawlers.

edit: Interesting. Just found a website where the URL to the new site is stated but not as a link but just in plain text. But google might be crawling text-URLs as well. So this is possibly the source for the indexing.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

dandelO

Googles pageranking system can sometimes take ages, believe me, I've slogged it out with them before trying to get a site listed.
One link may have been posted somewhere, months ago, and just been forgotten or accidentally overlooked.
OB's right, though, you just need to wait on their bots doing a perfunctory trawl, no matter how much they tell you your site will be included in the next few days.

Oshyan

We've been found out! ;D The site is based on Joomla, yes, and was designed by a company who happened to also put it in their portfolio even though we haven't launched it fully yet. So that's why it's in Google's index. But yes, that's the new work-in-progress site, we're just filling it with content and we'll be launching it in the near future.

By the way the forum is not separate, it's just a customized theme, so no need to re-register. :)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

I gotta disagree.  All it takes is opening a page up to the Internet once and Google can nab it.

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 13, 2009, 06:42:36 PM
No, Google has to find out for themselves, either by making their bot follow links to it or by having it submitted through their system manually. If this was a test site, there should have been no external links on the internet for Google to see, and I doubt any of the Planetside staff submitted it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?