Developing new benchmark - need Core i7 940 or 965 test subject!

Started by Oshyan, February 15, 2009, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Well, considering that Terragen isn't an open source project, you probably won't get to compile it yourself.

As for 64-bit, the Terragen interface is based off of the Carbon API, which Apple never released 64-bit versions for. Until Planetside can migrate away from Carbon towards Cocoa, they won't be able to make a 64-bit version of TG2 for the Mac.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

I don't think simply compiling TG2 with 64 bit flags will really change anything. We need to make fundamental architectural changes to take proper advantage of a 64 bit environment. We plan to do that after the coming release.

As for Frank's benchmark, I'm pretty certain it was not overclocked. When you say "The one with XP I think was at the default clock and the default 4 cores detected." it's a bit worrying. It's important that the results there be verifiable and clear. So I would ask that you re-run the results and more carefully note the environment details, if possible. We're working on allowing you to easily specify that a machine is overlocked. I would also ask that you run the benchmark with default settings and use that for your on-site benchmark report. Alternate configurations can be discussed here until we have a better system for noting special environment details.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

Ayp3ct

I will test it with my AMD Phenom2 x4 940 @3.2 ghz. If it is possible to render it with a preview version.

echrei

Quote from: Oshyan on March 11, 2009, 12:05:16 AM
I don't think simply compiling TG2 with 64 bit flags will really change anything. We need to make fundamental architectural changes to take proper advantage of a 64 bit environment. We plan to do that after the coming release.

As for Frank's benchmark, I'm pretty certain it was not overclocked. When you say "The one with XP I think was at the default clock and the default 4 cores detected." it's a bit worrying. It's important that the results there be verifiable and clear. So I would ask that you re-run the results and more carefully note the environment details, if possible. We're working on allowing you to easily specify that a machine is overlocked. I would also ask that you run the benchmark with default settings and use that for your on-site benchmark report. Alternate configurations can be discussed here until we have a better system for noting special environment details.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

The benchmark running XP was definitely on 4 cores. I just don't remember what it was clocked to exactly. I think it was 3.2GHz. I was having memory issues on XP32 running all 16 cores.
15" MacBook Pro / 2.6GHz Penryn C2D / 4GB RAM / 500GB 7200RPM HDD / 8600M GT 512MB
Hackintosh / Dual X5680 @ 4.2GHz / 12GB RAM / 2TB HDD / GTX 480+260

Oshyan

Quote from: echrei on March 11, 2009, 03:54:15 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on March 11, 2009, 12:05:16 AM

Thanks!

- Oshyan

The benchmark running XP was definitely on 4 cores. I just don't remember what it was clocked to exactly. I think it was 3.2GHz. I was having memory issues on XP32 running all 16 cores.

Ok, it's important to have the specifics though. Please re-test when you get a chance and remove any results you're not certain of for now.

Thanks!

- Oshyan