Your Screen Resolution

Started by sjefen, February 20, 2009, 09:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

The easiest way I find, with CSS is to add this to the body <div id="doc3"></div> doc3 is a preset width of 100% with a 5 pixel margin either side but apparently you can set the page width to be a percentage of the screen width, instead of the preset doc1, doc2 and doc3, although it has some bizarre effects between browsers.

Another way is using iFrame but it raises issues when found through a search engine.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

efflux

It looks OK. Nice and simple. I'm on my little 1024x768. It looks like there is wasted space in surrounding areas although I know this is just a shot and not the actual page so no way of knowing how it really functions.

I've been intending to build a site for ages. I have Drupal installed here but never got around to doing much. Originally I designed a site from scratch but was unsure about this whole screen resolution thing. I actually made the site very simple graphically but went to town on making the css formatting resize and fit all over the shop. Just about any size monitor would have worked nicely but I think I went too far with that.

neuspadrin

Desktop: 1680x1050
tablet laptop: 1024x768

Old monitor i used to have and miss very much: 1920x1200

as for web development, i do some work on it often over the summer for internship, and often we designed with the idea of people will be using 1024.  Best case is to use CSS to make it expandable, but also make sure it looks at least somewhat decent on 1024. 

If you are doing work on a high res monitor, firefox has a nice addon called webdeveloper https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60, which allows you to set the browser window to specific sizes, and has some common screen resolutions if i recall correctly.  Also some various other nice tools.

whenever i'm on a higher resolution monitor above 1024x768, i find i cant stand the browser in fullscreen mode, so i usually resize it roughly to a 1024x768 resolution anyways.  or at least smaller.  just makes it easy to move it around, talk on im, do other things at same time.

Sen

inkydigit

1920 x 1200 I think?....Imac 24 inch :D

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Oshyan on February 20, 2009, 11:56:29 PM
I think it is generally good practice to design for 1024x768 or at most 1280x1024. This is not only because the majority of people still do not use higher than 1280x1024, but also because many people do not necessarily browse with their web browser "maximized" or full-screen. This is a surprise to me as I hate not having my browser maximized, but apparently this is common.

I pretty much never have my browsers maximised. A good reason for that is because things become ridiculously wide and harder to read at 1920 x 1200. Plus, you know, I like to do more than one thing at a time ;-).

I always keep 1024x768 in mind as a minimum these days. I have relatives who still use somewhere around that. I have one relative who uses 800 x 600 and has so many toolbars in their browser only about 1/2 the space is actually available for the web pages! It's hard to believe considering they must use other computers at work and such, but some people never quite figure out they can change the screen resolution. I know other people who've been running their LCD monitors at less than the native resolution ( never quite figured out how they changed it in the first place ) so everything looks horribly blurry. When I've changed it for them they're amazed at how much better it looks - "I thought there was something a bit funny about it before" !!! These aren't dumb people either.

I've known people with widescreen LCDs running 4:3 aspect ratios stretched. Mind you, I also known people who stretch 4:3 TV or DVDs on their widescreen TVs so it's "widescreen without those bars". The fact people's faces become mysteriously oval doesn't seem to bother them, or rather it does but they don't figure it out until you mention it.

You shouldn't underestimate how many "ordinary" ( i.e. not as involved with computers as we are ;-) people might still be running CRT monitors ( I was up until my last one died a couple of years ago ), non-widescreen LCDs, LCDs with low native resolutions etc.

Anyway, right now I have monitors on in my office at 1920 x 1200, 1680 x 1050 ( x2 ) , 1440 x 900 and 1280 x 854. Now I type that it seems ridiculous :-).

Regards,

Jo

rcallicotte

Jo, that is ridiculous-ly fun.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

otakar

There are a lot of assumptions in regards to available space (in terms of pixels) on a user's monitor. At work for example, I am forced to use a web page template that is fixed to a width of 800 pixels. Of course this results in a small content area and a huge unused amount of screen space for most people. However, a good number of people have much less than the 800 pixels available, they change their screen resolution to 800x600 because of bad vision and then they activate all sorts of browser "features" which clog up screen space. To top that, they up the text size in the browser. The result is lots of horizontal and of course vertical scrolling.

Oh and this widescreen craze, I am not sure what that is all about. When I work on a computer, I am not really intested in watching movies. Widescreens are useless for creating documents or even computer graphics and they take up even more space in an office.

rcallicotte

Widescreens -

• better workspace when working on graphics
  • more space for groovy games
  • watching movies can be a good thing

;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

latego

Quote from: otakar on April 02, 2009, 01:19:59 PM
Oh and this widescreen craze, I am not sure what that is all about. When I work on a computer, I am not really intested in watching movies. Widescreens are useless for creating documents or even computer graphics and they take up even more space in an office.

For example, they are godsent when you program. With a widescreen layout, you have one (or possibly two, side by side) source windows plus at least a palette (e.g. for interface design) plus a dockable window with the project files and/or class hierarchy. Have a look at screenshots of any IDE around and you will see what I mean. We I first got my Samsung 23" beast, I felt I had actually bought a new computer.

Bye!!!

neuspadrin

I find it hard to operate without wide screen + decent resolutions etc.  With programming and modeling and everything, all the sidebars taking space.

also its nice to be able to multi task and still keep track of certain windows, often i have im's going, or browsing the internet while watching something, etc... more real estate to do stuff with ;)

on my tablet for school, i love linux because on my dinky little 1024x768 12.1inch monitor i have like no space... but with linux i can at least have 4 (that i usually use... or like 100s should i wish) desktops to kind of make up for that a little... still sucks though ;)

also:

im with jo, i can't stand my browser maximized (except on my 1024x768 screen where theres no real choice ;)).  I generally browse the internet with a browser roughly at 1280x1024ish windowed.  can't stand it maximized, and it always annoys me when my gf gets on and maximizes it and the next time i get on it starts off with a hugeeee almost blank screen (as homepage google).  also just too many sites don't fill up the screen so might as well just view it as they were built for. 

cyphyr

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 02, 2009, 02:01:42 PM
im with jo, i can't stand my browser maximized (except on my 1024x768 screen where theres no real choice ;)).  I generally browse the internet with a browser roughly at 1280x1024ish windowed.  can't stand it maximized, and it always annoys me when my gf gets on and maximizes it and the next time i get on it starts off with a hugeeee almost blank screen (as homepage google).  also just too many sites don't fill up the screen so might as well just view it as they were built for. 
Funny I'm the exact opposite :)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mohawk20

My screen resolution is 1280x1024 on both pc's (which have the exact same monitor model  ;D).

I have my browser always maximized, and really can't stand it otherwise!
I hate those pop-up adds that make my browser go windowed almost fullscreen...
Howgh!

neuspadrin

for those that use it maximized, do you like it that way above 1280? on both 1920 and 1680 monitors its just too big in my opinion... 1280 and below i can still see why youd maximize.