SiteGrinder

Started by rcallicotte, January 22, 2009, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Has anyone tried SiteGrinder and, if so, what do you think?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

neuspadrin

hadn't heard of it, just googled, seems cool if it actual does a decent job.  i generally dont trust auto generated code, its usually poorly done. 

rcallicotte

You're right.  But, hey, things are changing so much...well, I thought there might just be automated programmers someday to alleviate the financial burden of IT.  Or not.   ::)

neuspadrin

by playing with the demo a tad, it seems nice.  the code it generates is quite clean and much less bloated then most generators would make.  however, in the playing around it does seem to have its quirks, and you gotta learn how to use it and how to trick it into making some stuff kinda, and you really need to know how to use photoshop quite well, while also understanding the basic functions of webdev type terms.. and what little extra commands you need to add (-button, -text, -rollover, etc)

my overall opinion:
great for photoshop guru who doesn't like programming.  This will make a decent quick site thats static, just a couple pages but very prettyness over full on functionality.  Afterall the main point of this is to not need to go into programs like dreamweaver as often, so anything over like 5-6 pages could start to be a pain.  also some of its choices arn't very efficient, and my slice jobs are much better, cut down required images, etc ;)

course thats just playing around a bit.  but i do web development/programming as a summer job sooo... /shrug ;) i like the code more then the photoshoping.  my job ranged from slicing up the mockups into real pages (basically what this claims to do) to create templates, pull database stuff, do updates, etc etc.

rcallicotte

I program and appreciate your tests as well as your point of view.  Your experience tells me it might be worth it.

neuspadrin

Give the demo a try.  It watermarks but otherwise works as is.

I personally just like coding, so taking that part out depresses me :P And I know my way around Dreamweaver enough to where learning how to do tricks around just seems a pain.  One other place it might be useful is in the first mock ups and transferring them to a very generic template.  But even then.. /shrug.

rcallicotte

Mock-ups can be useful, especially in a busy environment.  I'll probably try the demo, once I get through some other stuff I'm working on.  But, this has helped.