New benchmark scene and site!

Started by Oshyan, February 28, 2009, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Hello everyone. I posted a week or two ago about creating a new TG2 benchmark and I've now completed it. The inspiration for it was three-fold:

First, with the newer quad core and Core i7 CPUs and TG2 now being multithreaded, most older benchmarks simply render too fast to see real differentiation.

Second, none of the other benchmarks I've seen incorporate all the aspects of a TG2 scene, including water and reflectivity, populations, and complex terrain and surfacing.

Third and finally, for a long time now I have had a dream of creating a really good benchmarking website with system tracking, multiple benchmarks, easy benchmark entry, search functions, etc. and recently I was lucky enough to stumble across an already running, in-progress site that I am now contributing to as a partner. The site already includes not only my TG2 benchmark, but benchmarks for many other 3D applications like Maya and 3DS Max. You can even contribute your own benchmark scenes for others to try!

So if you're interested in TG2 benchmarking, or 3D application benchmarking in general, please drop by and check it out. We've got a lot of good basic functionality in there, and are working on a lot more exciting stuff. If you have any feedback or ideas, please let me know. We're aiming to make this the best source for 3D application benchmarks on the web, all in one place.

http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/

Thanks for checking it out!

- Oshyan

FrankB

Hi Oshyan,

there's no object for the population included in the archive, as far as I can see, but the demo render (which is actually a very pleasant scene) apparently has object populations.
Nice idea with the new benchmark site.

Cheers,
Frank

Oshyan

Yes, they're populations of tweaked grasses (built-in). Sneaky, I know. ;)

By the way this scene is fairly demanding since it is meant to deal with newer Core i7's and beyond. I hope the scene will last a year or more as a relevant benchmark. So on a Core 2 Duo, as you can see from the results, it takes nearly an hour. I realize that's a long time, and for some of you with even slower systems it will be over an hour, but for those with fast Core i7's it is less than 10 minutes, and this just highlights the difference in speeds, which is exactly what is needed.

- Oshyan

old_blaggard

Looks good! I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

FrankB

PG

Me too, once I get my activation link in the email. Who's JavaJones? 53 minutes seems a little long for a core 2 duo 2.4GHz. Mine's a 2.93 and it did it in 21:34.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

buzzzzz1

I think he works for Starbucks?  And maybe Planetside?   ;)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

FrankB

a little bit of feedback from my side:

the website is not exactly easy to use as far as the registration is concerned. also the graphical design doesn't seem optimal on the header and menu. On the homepage, below the header there's a banner ad and the menu item link that says "register" actually line breaks into the ad space (because it doesn't seem to fit in the space of the header menu). Took me some time to realize to find the registration link because of it.

Hope you'll be able to have that improved.
Cheers,
Frank

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on February 28, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
Hello everyone. I posted a week or two ago about creating a new TG2 benchmark and I've now completed it. The inspiration for it was three-fold:

First, with the newer quad core and Core i7 CPUs and TG2 now being multithreaded, most older benchmarks simply render too fast to see real differentiation.

Second, none of the other benchmarks I've seen incorporate all the aspects of a TG2 scene, including water and reflectivity, populations, and complex terrain and surfacing.

Third and finally, for a long time now I have had a dream of creating a really good benchmarking website with system tracking, multiple benchmarks, easy benchmark entry, search functions, etc. and recently I was lucky enough to stumble across an already running, in-progress site that I am now contributing to as a partner. The site already includes not only my TG2 benchmark, but benchmarks for many other 3D applications like Maya and 3DS Max. You can even contribute your own benchmark scenes for others to try!

So if you're interested in TG2 benchmarking, or 3D application benchmarking in general, please drop by and check it out. We've got a lot of good basic functionality in there, and are working on a lot more exciting stuff. If you have any feedback or ideas, please let me know. We're aiming to make this the best source for 3D application benchmarks on the web, all in one place.

http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/

Thanks for checking it out!

- Oshyan
Hi Oshyan,

Ok, I went there and resistered. Now, how to I perform the test. I clicked on the image and the picture uploaded. How do you test the render/

Bob

stunnedmullet

@choronr - you need to click the text "Download Scene" under the test picture to download the test scene in a zip file.

BTW, I've got a problem with the test render scene. As soon as I open it I get a number of warning messages (see attached). I'm using Build 1.10.23.1. Anyone else had the same happen or know what the problem is?

Regards,
Paul

FrankB

You can ignore that, because the error messages relate to a feature that doesn't exist in your version of TG2, yet. However, this feature is not used in the test scene anyway. So just ignore the errors and warning for now.

Regards;
Frank

stunnedmullet

Hi Frank,

Thanks. I'll do a render and post my time.

Cheers,
Paul

Oshyan

Thanks for the feedback (and benchmarks) everyone. Frank, I don't see the line break Register link issue you described. What browser are you using, and can you provide a screen shot? Btw, congrats on being top of the heap so far. ;D

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Quote from: stunnedmullet on March 01, 2009, 05:04:59 AM
@choronr - you need to click the text "Download Scene" under the test picture to download the test scene in a zip file.

BTW, I've got a problem with the test render scene. As soon as I open it I get a number of warning messages (see attached). I'm using Build 1.10.23.1. Anyone else had the same happen or know what the problem is?

Regards,
Paul

OOh some of these look very intriguing :) Looks like theses a few new features coming up, could "lat_long_at_apex in class: planet" be something about using a different co-ordinate system? And could "ray_detail_region_padding in class: render" be about controlling the shadow clipping issue?
Looking forward to the next installment :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Where do I submit my results?  I registered, but can't seem to login.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?