New benchmark scene and site!

Started by Oshyan, February 28, 2009, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Interesting results so far. My upgrade philosophy is to always double double my power (see Moore's law) and its good to see that the entry level i7 is almost exactly twice as fast as the Q9450. The down side here however is the i7 upgrade path is pricey as it has to include a new board and new ram. Looking at the very least at £500 just for the processor, board and ram.
Time to start saving  ;D
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

i found the i7 a good upgrade path if you still own a mobo that cannot be upgraded to anything decent at all. With that, probably your RAM is not to today's standard either. Essentially, if your whole machine is dusty crap, why not go for the i7? :D

That being said, my old box was a AMD X2 4200, on a 939 CPU interface (I think), and I don't even remember what the RAM was :-)
even if I would have upgraded to a newer Intel Quad, I would have had to buy almost everything new - anyway.

Frank

cyphyr

Quote from: FrankB on March 02, 2009, 11:42:31 AM
i found the i7 a good upgrade path if you still own a mobo that cannot be upgraded to anything decent at all. With that, probably your RAM is not to today's standard either. Essentially, if your whole machine is dusty crap, why not go for the i7? :D

Frank

Hmm I don't think my machine is dusty old crap (dusty for sure) but it is at the end of its shelf life. The trouble is that at a certain point you have to make the leap, hence my upgrade philosophy. Its just that other than the hard drive, graphics card, case and power supply there's sod all I can transfer to anew build. So £500 it is then. lol
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

FrankB

btw, everytime I wrote "you" I actually didn't mean you personally. Used this more in generic sense, speaking to noone in particular :-)
That being said, I don't assume your personal box dusty old crap. But *my* old one certainly is :-)

I agree about the leap thing. A PC usually lasts 2 years with me. After that time, I cannot play any recent games anymore and others with newer machines render me away easy. That goes on my nerves of course, hence after 2 years the pain is big enough to justify a decent leap :D

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

Anyone out there got a top end AMD?
I've always wanted to see how good they are.
richard

ps its cool, didn't take it personally :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

PG

I've got a Phenom II at work. Can I use my license in two places? Not for commercial use, just playing around in my lunch break.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

normhol

I have  Intel Core2 Duo 3 Ghz and 4 Gb DDR2.
Rendered 800X600 .5 resolution  34:35
       "       640X480        "          14:14

I see how the Distribution Shader is used with a population now...thanks.
The scene is complicated for me, but interesting to study.
Norm.

cyphyr

You don't need the licensed version to run the benchmark, the free version works just fine :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Zylot

Oh baby, this is great, wait till i get home I'll set a new record for longest time.

EDIT: 1:34'36"  beat that

Oshyan

Be sure not to enter any benchmarks rendered with changed render settings (e.g. 800x600). The benchmark results depend on the resolution always being the same. :)

- Oshyan

FrankB

I'd be really interested to see how far one can go with a Phenom Black Edition (reasonably) overclocked... Anyone?

matrix2003

Just read that Vista SP2 RC is leaking around on the internets, and the final will be out by April first-ish.
    Wonder if that will change any times? ::)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Oshyan

Ricowan

Cool!  I added my results to the site, and I have a few observations.

I didn't "optimize" my laptop before running the benchmark.  I didn't have Thunderbird running but other than that nothing was disabled, including the wallpaper cycling program I wrote, which changed the wallpaper twice during the render.   ::)

I use Everest Ultimate to monitor chip temperatures, and it also give me a nice per-core utilization feed in real time.  Watching the render, I would have expected 100% on all four cores the entire time.  For the most part all four cores were at 100% but at random times all four would dip down to around 80%, with no other process visibly doing anything.

The most surprising observation to me was at the end of the render, when only the last bit of the grass population was being rendered on top of the already rendered terrain.  NONE of the cpu cores was above 50%, but two of them were up between 45% and 50%.  What I expected to see was the first core around 20%, the 2nd and 3rd around 3%, and the fourth at 100%.  Interesting!!  :)

Also, I'm very happy to see that my 6 month old laptop will hold it's own for a while to come, even against the new procs.  yay!  :D

Rich Allen
(Ricowan)