Semi-procedural Canyon

Started by Tangled-Universe, March 03, 2009, 01:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Don't have much time to write something about this, cuz I've got to go to work...
One thing though....the lighting is strange, yes :)

More info will follow...

Martin

FrankB

wow, now *these* are some brilliant rock structures! It even has little veins that creep across the surface. And the roughness is very believable too.
Don't know what you mean with the lighting. Looks good to me. It's apparent that you have spent quite a lot of time and love into making these surface.
I know this is not easy to do. Congratulations!

Next, this has to be placed into a nice scene.

Frank

darthvader

*drools over the thin cracks on the canyon floor*

Seth

good rocks and love the cracks too ^^

Saurav

Great structures and detail. Lighting looks very realistic to me.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys ;D
I wasn't so sure about the lighting, think the shadows are a tad too bright, but it seems you guys like it so maybe I've to try to look it in an other way.

Here's some info about how this is basically done:

The wall is a stretched heightfield (10000x1500m) with a "vertical adjust" shader attached to it and set to a couple of hundred metres. Without any fractals applied to it this just looks like a smooth box.
The walls of the canyon are being displaced with a redirectshader on a single axis.
The fun thing of this technique is that you can align another heigthfield next to it, so in parallel.
Using the same redirectshader will automatically create a twisting canyon :)
Further voronoi-functions, strata and powerfractals are applied for displacements and coloring.

Tangled-Universe

I'm working on optimisations for this technique and with the help of FrankB I've developed a canyon "ready to use" and which you can even paint in the desired shape!
The walls will have the same displacements as in the latest rock-pictures I've shown lately, like the one above.

I'm planning to release this as a tech-pack @ http://nwda.webnode.com/

Further info will follow later :)

Martin

rcallicotte

Cool displacements and VERTICAL!   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mt_sabao

Tangled-Universe

Another one :)

Just changed the seed value of the powerfractal for the redirectshader and also changed sun's heading and elevation.
Rest is the same.

Martin

ra

Awesome!  This definitely rocks!  ;D
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

RArcher

This is very impressive Martin!  Well worth the time you have obviously invested.

choronr

Amazing work Martin; looking forward to the release.

rcallicotte

Hey, TU.  No hurry, but how's this going?  I'm willing to wait to see something beautiful be available, so no rush.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on March 04, 2009, 09:12:20 AM
Hey, TU.  No hurry, but how's this going?  I'm willing to wait to see something beautiful be available, so no rush.   ;D

Thanks for showing interest Calico and others as well of course :)

It's progressing, but slowly ;) I'm working on this for well over a month: clarifying the shaders, re-arranging them and setting up base-scenes and principles to get you started right away.

I have a new render cooking of a 2-sided canyon. Will post that in about 2 hours.

Martin