Atmo tweaks...

Started by gradient, January 21, 2007, 11:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gradient

In adjusting the bluesky and redsky decay colors under the atmo "tweak" tab...both colors move in concert.  Is there a way to select independent colors for each one without it automatically affecting the other?

Matt

Sorry for the late reply on this.

This is the intended behaviour.

In Terragen v0.9 you could change the bluesky additive colour independently of the redsky decay colour. This is because there was no "bluesky horizon colour". In TG2 the correct way to change the relationship between the decay and additive components of the atmosphere is using the "bluesky horizon colour".

You have the same level of freedom in the TG2 atmosphere as you do in the v0.9 atmosphere, but the parameterisation is a little different. You just need to edit the horizon colour to get what you want. I have done it this way so that you have more control over the colour of the horizon, because in v0.9 it was less predictable.

The "bluesky density colour" in the Tweaks tab is simply an alternative way of changing the bluesky decay colour, but it is not intended to be independent from it. I think maybe it should be removed.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

Matt,

I've used the Bluesky Density Colour to change the atmosphere colour to enable different color atmospheres.  If taking this away would eliminate this ability, please don't do it.  Although, it's likely I'm misunderstanding you and/or there's another way to change the color of the atmosphere.  Is there?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

@calico: I think what he meant was he is going to take away the feature of redsky and bluesky working together, so that you can adjust the color of one and not change the color of the other automatically (I could be wrong too).
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I sort of like this feature of one changing the other.  Maybe we could have a checkbox to allow/disallow?  ...if that is what he's saying.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

get everything and not loose anything....I like that....lol...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Matt

I was suggesting this: because the current implementation does not allow you to edit "blue sky density colour" independently of "red sky decay colour" (and vice versa), I am thinking of removing one or the other. But that may not be a good thing because it seems that both are useful. Really they are just two different ways of changing one parameter.

It would be possible to allow them to operate independently, but it would result in "blue sky horizon colour" changing unexpectedly without you being able to see it happening (because it's on a different tab panel). I think that's probably a bad thing.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Matt on March 25, 2007, 12:24:49 PM
It would be possible to allow them to operate independently, but it would result in "blue sky horizon colour" changing unexpectedly without you being able to see it happening (because it's on a different tab panel). I think that's probably a bad thing.

Matt

Matt,

Would it be possible and excuse me if I don't know the correct term for this, to compensate for such occurrences would it be possible to have some form of interface AI built into Terrgen where if one parameter is likely to change one or more other parameters else where in the application since the application would be a smart application where every thing is aware of every thing else that is related to it as in you example, then the application compensates automatically to prevent unexpected occurrences from taking place.

Think of it as the software equivalent of what happens with an SLR stills camera where in certain modes if you adjust the exposure setting the camera adjusts the aperture automatically, without the photographer from having to do that. Sorry about the explanation its the best I can come up with.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

RedSquare

Although still, I haven't experimented in detail with atmo's, I did notice that the two settings seemed to be inexorably linked.  I would also subscribe to the option - as is as default, but with the ability to override so that I can induce colours that I visualise, not what is necessarily physically correct.