Vray Scatter

Started by Martians, March 08, 2009, 06:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martians

This is not really related to TG2, but I just wanted to pass on this link.. (grabbed from http://rendering.ru/)

http://rapidshare.com/files/206755630/VD_HD.wmv

It's a pretty awesome demonstration of what is possible with the 3dsmax plugin - Vray Scatter..

Rendering time 1-3 hours per frame wih motion blur in HD 720 resolution.

Polygons:
Trees 175 000 by 2 000 000 polygon per tree.
Bushes - 30 000 by 500 000 polygon per bush
Flowers - 200 000 by 5000 polygon per flower
Grass 10 000 000 by 1000 polygon per grass
Entire 376 000 000 000 polygons

Regards,

Martin

rcallicotte

If it isn't about TG2, it would be better for this to go in Open Discussions.

VRay is GREAT.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

Pointless in any  case...seems a dud link.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

latego

On youtube you can find an old demo reel at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cET7jx1t5vU (watch it in High quality).

For sure, this reel and the renders on the producer side are something the delusional Vue management should think about before laying out grandiose plans about separating the artist and professional lines (in other words, first check to HAVE a professional line...).

Bye...

P.S.: in addition, they might also check Kerkythea, Podium, FryRender, Maxwell Render, LuxRender, Brazil (for sure, I have left some products out of the list).

Jack

someone showed this a couple of weeks ago ???
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

Yes, very nice looking stuff for sure. Instancing has been around for a long time and impressive demonstrations have been plentiful for some time actually. I'd say this is one of the more impressive I've ever seen. What remains unknown to me however is whether Vray can handle complex terrain-scale displacement. I know it handles displacement well in general, but whether it can do so at the level required for rendering entire terrains driven by displacement, down to centimeter details, is something I'm very interested in.

- Oshyan

Martians

Thanks for moving the topic.. Ofc it should have been in open discussion to begin with - my apologies..

Martin

bobbystahr

Thanx for getting the link working if in fact it was something screwy...might have been the net not cooperating..very interesting and it brings to mind the query that sometimes pops into my head...is TG2 ever going to have real physics ie: wind effect on vegetation. As I can't yet afford the animation version of TG2 this hasn't yet been a concern, but in the fullness of time I will own the full product and this is an important animation feature. Vue's implementation seems not too shabby and as Vue is way cheaper than Max I'm guessing that if we (TG2 USERS)  don't get it in TG2, could Vue be far behind in my wish list. Since TG2 came around I rarely even think of Vue anymore but this topic did reassert it in my brain.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

rcallicotte

Bobby, do you know this is the month Planetside is planning to release the Gold 2.0 version of TG2?  The official release will probably follow with a rate hike.

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 09, 2009, 11:00:59 AM
...but in the fullness of time I will own the full product and this is an important animation feature.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bobbystahr

Yeah I heard that with a certain amount of despair Calico...sigh...I would that I didn't have a falling apart house to consider...I'd already have Deep were it not for that continuing Money Pit....sigh...I'm guessing it'll be even a longer while now if the price is gonna pop up to industry standard pricing......oh well....I might have bit the bullet had there been an announcement of unlimited shaders on imported objects but that lack still is inhibiting me from really using TG2 as I'd like to.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

As far as I know Vue doesn't natively come with a generalized physics system either. It has "wind" effects, but it's really just a model warping effect as far as I know. There is some kind of plugin/script system called VueDynamics that does physics, but it's from a 3rd party.

In any case TG2 isn't likely to have physics any time soon. It's a complex area and largely outside the immediate focus of landscape modeling and rendering. I'd love to see it as a plugin in the future though.

- Oshyan

latego

Quote from: Oshyan on March 10, 2009, 01:54:25 AM
As far as I know Vue doesn't natively come with a generalized physics system either. It has "wind" effects, but it's really just a model warping effect as far as I know.

Vue wind effects apply only to Solid Growth plants. Obviously, you could write a truckload of Python code to create a physics engine... exactly the way you can level a hill with a spoon.

Dear Oshyan, the two things that cripple TG2 are the limit on the number of shaders on meshes and the fact that you cannot create blocks of nodes as "macros" in order to manage the complexity of the network. To give the idea of what should be ideal, do have a look at World Machine macros: you package subnetworks into a single node (therefore prodiving "subroutines" for your network) and then you can instanciate your macro many times or make it into a component to reusable in other networks.

Bye!!!

Oshyan

Yeah, I'm definitely very familiar with World Machine's approach and I agree, it's a great system to model after. It's very friendly to use yet very powerful. We definitely intend to address this as well as the shader limitation issue in the future.

- Oshyan

latego

I found a better (both for quality and content) video of VRay and VRayScatter capabilities; the URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wPRH9GMPU&fmt=18.

Bye!!!

Arandil

Quote from: latego on March 16, 2009, 09:06:38 PM
I found a better (both for quality and content) video of VRay and VRayScatter capabilities; the URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wPRH9GMPU&fmt=18.

Bye!!!

:o  Why do I want to cry?   :P