Vray Scatter

Started by Martians, March 08, 2009, 06:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

latego

Quote from: Arandil on March 17, 2009, 02:28:11 PM
Quote from: latego on March 16, 2009, 09:06:38 PM
I found a better (both for quality and content) video of VRay and VRayScatter capabilities; the URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wPRH9GMPU&fmt=18.

Bye!!!

:o  Why do I want to cry?   :P

I think that you would cry harder if you had to buy the "thing"; actually I found no stated cost of VRay (just contact info for resellers) so I assume that it is a 4 digit price tag (and the first digit is not 1 for sure...).

The reason for this information was to show that when E-On management talks of separating artist and professional product lines (implying that 7 Infinite/xStream is a high end product) they are just delusional: actual high end products perform feats you do not even dream to do in Vue.

Vue is a good landscaping solution but outside this area, it is nothing. It has no real modeling, its trees are simplicistic (compare Vue trees to Carrara or Bryce ones, not even mentioning xFrog plants), lacks fundamental functionalities for architectural rendering... I could go on. The reality is that ALL E-On products belong to the artist world, and they should be marketed accordingly.

Nothing prevents E-On (if they have the people and the money) to enter the high end rendering market, but they need to develop new tools adequate to the competition, not just hypnotize collectively themselves into thinking they have them already.

Bye!!!

rcallicotte

latego, you are aware that Vue has been used for a few movies already, correct?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: calico on March 18, 2009, 01:25:18 PM

Calico, it was used, but as a more of a base for matte paintings, rather than directly. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

latego

Quote from: moodflow on March 18, 2009, 06:20:21 PM
Quote from: calico on March 18, 2009, 01:25:18 PM

Calico, it was used, but as a more of a base for matte paintings, rather than directly. 

Exactly. BASIS for MATTE PAINTINGS. In other words, not able to perform completely by itself a "simple" task (or at least, simple by Pixar/Dreamworks/ILM standards...).

Nowadays, GC movies have reached such levels of sofistication and complexity that Hollywood needs are to architectural rendering needs as these are to some "chrome spheres on a checkerboard" (which shows how many years I have spent dabbling with CG, starting in 1997 with POV-Ray 3.5).

There is a great publication here in Italy, called "Computer Grafica" (www.imagonet.it). They also include content from CineFEX (http://www.cinefex.com/) so I can get some information about movie making challenges, tools and workflow.

E.g., I read that in some scenes of "Happy Feet" there were 700,000 (not a typo) individually animated penguins, controlled by a software called Massive, which has been used also for Lord of the Rings mass combat scenes and 300 and many other titles. Just think about having not 700,000 replicated trees (using proxies) but 700,000 complex, animated meshes with bones, EACH acting indipendently and interacting with the surrounding meshes... this is an example of what they can do in Hollywood (and an example of what they need).

Another problem with movies is that in that field people use Renderman engines, which follow quite a different philosophy from programs like Vue (or TG). You create, rig and animate meshes with apps like Maya/XSI/Lightwave etc, then export the results to a format which can be digested by these engines and render. Shaders are not a graph of nodes... they are actual programs, written in Renderman Shading Language (now you know what that .rsl file extension means) which describe how to compute the resulting image. Just an example: in Vue or TG, antialiasing is nothing more than selecting some rendering options. In Renderman shaders, you have to code by hand the band limited approximations of your shaders in order to prevent moire patterns! There are whole books (and whole careers) about Renderman technology. All these techniques do not mesh at all with the rendering process of the programs we are talking about. Even doing matte paint is not a simple "well will add this scene as a background in post production" because foreground objects rendering interacts with the background (and vice versa).

Vue is a good landscaping application. You can get quite easily decent results with it (and if you master it, even more than just decent) but, obviously, it has its limit. Terragen 2, if provided with some more capabilities (and complemented with xFrog vegetation), can be a real competitor to Vue. As I alredy wrote in other posts, a sensible Vue user is the best fan of TG2!

Bye!!!

P.S.: better imported mesh handling (the horse bones keep being hitten) and a way to manage the whole rendering network in a more localized way (e.g. in Vue, when editing the graph which computes the procedural terrain you do not even see the graph which creates the density of the clouds, which is in its turn completely ignorable when editing the graph which control ecosystem density).

Cyber-Angel

Massive was designed as I understand it in its original intent as you say, to deal with the combat scenes in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy of Motion Pictures after the production of which Massive Software was founded to bring Massive to the wider CGI community and has been used in a number of Motion Pictures since that time.

As to software been based on the Photo-Realistic Renderman specification and there are a number of them, these are dedicated Renders and that is what they are solely meant to do. Whereas Terragen and Vue fall in to the category of Digital Asset Creation (DAC) with rendering capabilities; these are a different class of application to the dedicated Render class of Application such as V-Ray, Renderman and Brazil R/S.

There is a vary good reason why there is such a thing as Multi-Pass Rendering, it is so that different aspects of a scene can be combined at the compositing stage later, Terragen will as I understand it get this in future.

Look, Terragen will get more features over time and it will be driven in the direction it needs to go [As I have pointed out time and again on these forums] at the same time it would be best to do so in a steady manor; not time to market which adds to an already complex development cycle and introduces the chances of error, just ask Microsoft if you don't believe it!

Above all it shouldn't really be about the software you use, but more about the user experience with that software; you can have all the features you like, but at the end of the day what is the interface like to use: if the user feels drained and cranky at the end of the working day then the software has failed the user experience test and that is really what its all about.

;D                           

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

bobbystahr

Well said Cyber-Angel...as Mike H from Imagine3D was so fond of saying...."It ain't the tool it's the artist that makes the difference"...no matter how powerful the software, if y' ain't creative you're going to turn out mediocre work no matter what you use [look over a Poser gallery sometime and you'll fine one great image out of ten at best and they all use the same software]...and yes...TG2 leaves me elated with what I've managed to pull of with it at the end of day or project...sometimes I can't even sleep after a great [for me] session.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Mohawk20

That Massive software is really great.
I once found a cracked version of it (which is really a stupid thing to share as you pay thousands of dollars for the software). I decided to check it out to see how it works.

I needed a lot of tutorials before I understood what it did and didn't do, but basically you can create a figure, assign basic movement like walking, then set the amount of individual figures with individual textures, set where and how they should walk in the environment, and then the software creates these massive amounts of random figures, all behaving to the set standards.

In Lord of the Rings the software had a bug they left in.
In some battles individual units would run away from a battlefield, in stead of running towards it as they were set to do.
As this added to realism ("Run you wussy Orcs!!!") they left it in.

Obviously I didn't have all the other needed software like renderman, or the skills needed to figure everything out, to really create a scene or something. I did think about how I could use it for my Dogs of War scene, but got stuck on importing the soldier object...

It shows that it's a lot of work, but I think I could have used Terragen in the mix if I ever got it to work, albeit only for backgrounds to render over.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Really?  From what I saw, it was used just like TG2 was used - backgrounds and it's my understanding it's what most of the big studios have used.

Oshyan

The only "big" studio I know of that uses it is ILM. They've used it on 4 projects, 2 Pirates movies, Spiderwick Chronicles, and the latest Indiana Jones. But they seem to have a special relationship with ILM in that E-on worked with them on development of Vue 6 (and probably 7) and ILM got early access to a lot of things important to their pipeline. The only other major film use I'm aware of is their latest showcase on "Australia" (the movie), but the work is not done by what I'd call a "big" studio: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/?page=1

You can see the other major uses of Vue there on their own Showcases page. We've got lots of work to do on our own similar page to make it current with some of the more recent and exciting uses of TG2.

- Oshyan

Quote from: calico on March 19, 2009, 08:46:54 AM
Really?  From what I saw, it was used just like TG2 was used - backgrounds and it's my understanding it's what most of the big studios have used.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on March 19, 2009, 10:14:25 PM

You can see the other major uses of Vue there on their own Showcases page. We've got lots of work to do on our own similar page to make it current with some of the more recent and exciting uses of TG2.

- Oshyan

Some stuff we don't know about yet? Can you tell something about this or do we have to wait for the new site to be on air? ;)

Martin

Mohawk20

I think TG2 was used in an episode of House MD...
It starts with a fighter pilot flying around in a very TG2-like environment.
Howgh!

Tangled-Universe

Yeah I've seen that one already, but Oshyan was talking about exciting use of TG2 and that stuff from House MD was really really crap. IMHO.

moodflow

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 19, 2009, 01:29:09 AM
...sometimes I can't even sleep after a great [for me] session.. ...

Now that's what I'm talking about!   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

bobbystahr

Quote from: moodflow on March 20, 2009, 03:31:24 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on March 19, 2009, 01:29:09 AM
...sometimes I can't even sleep after a great [for me] session.. ...

Now that's what I'm talking about!   8)

Indeed...I am an inveterate explorer and new discoveries make me really high..sometimes it keeps me up days on minimal caffine, heh heh heh, but mostly the discovery. I remember first coming to grips with modeling in Imagine3D...I swear I didn't sleep except when the Amiga was rendering...which it would sometimes do for days...LOL...TG2 is blazingly fast compared to those memories.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rcallicotte

Can't wait.

Quote from: Oshyan on March 19, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
We've got lots of work to do on our own similar page to make it current with some of the more recent and exciting uses of TG2.

- Oshyan